Dhamma

  • truth_aerator
    Message 1 of 199 , Jun 25, 2013
      Dear Sarah, all,

      >S:Maybe it's fortunate in this sense that you're not healthy because >then you wouldn't be hearing any good Dhamma (even if you disagree with >it)!

      It could be so.

      >Seriously, what is samatha? Is there samatha now? Is the aim to >"bliss out?"

      Samatha is stilling of the mind. In order to still it, one needs to have enough mindfulness to notice that it is not still, and enough wisdom to know how to properly deal with hindrances.

      As for "blissing out". Maybe it is its own reward.

      With best wishes,

      Alex
      Message 199 of 199 , Aug 3 1:21 AM
        Op 3 aug 2013, om 03:49 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:

        > Th: Thanks for your reply. It brought my attention to it. Yes, according to the SN suttas, one should first fully know the phenomena of the five aggregates (nama-rupa) themselves, and then fully see them as anicca, dukkha, or anatta.
        ------
        N: That is right. Sati and pa~n~naa have to attend to their characteristics when they appear and this is, as Acharn Sujin says, beyond words. It is not thinking about them. But for all of us it takes quite some time before we really understand this. We are bound to take thinking for awareness. Above all, there is no person who is trying to know, sati and pa~n~naa perform their functions. They arise because of conditions and these are listening to the Dhamma and considering it.

        -----