Re: Selected Suttas from Anguttara Nikaya (18) - the END

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
      Dear Partner Han,

      Thank you for your excellent presentation of the suttas.

      I agree that the last one includes many good reminders as in the verses at the end:

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, han tun <hantun1@...> wrote:

      > 30. An Island of Refuge [AN 3.52 Pa.thamadvebraahma.na sutta, AN 3.53 Dutiyadvebraahma.na sutta]
      <...>
      > Life is swept away, brief is our span of years,
      > There are no shelters for one who has reached old age.
      > Perceiving the peril that lurks in death,
      > Perform good deeds that entail happiness.
      >
      > When one is restrained in body,
      > Restrained by speech and by mind,
      > The deeds of merit one did while alive
      > Bring happiness when one departs.
      >
      > When a house is burning, the goods removed from it,
      > Will be of use, but not what burns inside.
      > Thus, in this world aflame with age and death,
      > Save what you own by liberality
      > Your goods given, are well removed and safe.
      >
      > When one is restrained in body,
      > Restrained by speech and by mind,
      > The deeds of merit one did while alive
      > Bring happiness when one departs.
      S: I know you appreciate this very much. While still alive, there are always opportunities for kusala of all kinds - even now!

      And from your quote at the end from the Mahaanaama Sutta:

      <...>This is called a noble disciple who dwells
      > evenly amidst an uneven generation, who dwells unafflicted amidst an afflicted generation, who has entered upon the stream of the Dhamma and develops recollection of the Buddha."
      >
      > I wish you all the best of health and happiness.
      S: May we all learn to live "evenly" amongst "an uneven generation", "unafflicted amidst an afflicted generation".

      Also wishing you courage, health and wisdom !

      Metta & Respect

      Sarah
      ====
    • han tun
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
        Dear Partner Sarah,

        Thank you very much for your kind words and useful comments.

        with metta and respect,
        Han

        From: sarah sarahprocterabbott@...