Re: [dsg] Selected Suttas from Anguttara Nikaya (18) - the END

  • han tun
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
      Dear Nina,

      Thank you very much for your very useful comments.
      I am also grateful for your kind words and encouragement.
      At the moment I want to take rest. I will write when I get better.

      with metta and respect,
      Han

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
        Dear Partner Han,

        Thank you for your excellent presentation of the suttas.

        I agree that the last one includes many good reminders as in the verses at the end:

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, han tun <hantun1@...> wrote:

        > 30. An Island of Refuge [AN 3.52 Pa.thamadvebraahma.na sutta, AN 3.53 Dutiyadvebraahma.na sutta]
        <...>
        > Life is swept away, brief is our span of years,
        > There are no shelters for one who has reached old age.
        > Perceiving the peril that lurks in death,
        > Perform good deeds that entail happiness.
        >
        > When one is restrained in body,
        > Restrained by speech and by mind,
        > The deeds of merit one did while alive
        > Bring happiness when one departs.
        >
        > When a house is burning, the goods removed from it,
        > Will be of use, but not what burns inside.
        > Thus, in this world aflame with age and death,
        > Save what you own by liberality
        > Your goods given, are well removed and safe.
        >
        > When one is restrained in body,
        > Restrained by speech and by mind,
        > The deeds of merit one did while alive
        > Bring happiness when one departs.
        S: I know you appreciate this very much. While still alive, there are always opportunities for kusala of all kinds - even now!

        And from your quote at the end from the Mahaanaama Sutta:

        <...>This is called a noble disciple who dwells
        > evenly amidst an uneven generation, who dwells unafflicted amidst an afflicted generation, who has entered upon the stream of the Dhamma and develops recollection of the Buddha."
        >
        > I wish you all the best of health and happiness.
        S: May we all learn to live "evenly" amongst "an uneven generation", "unafflicted amidst an afflicted generation".

        Also wishing you courage, health and wisdom !

        Metta & Respect

        Sarah
        ====
      • han tun
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
          Dear Partner Sarah,

          Thank you very much for your kind words and useful comments.

          with metta and respect,
          Han

          From: sarah sarahprocterabbott@...