Re: [dsg] Selected Suttas from Anguttara Nikaya (15)

  • han tun
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2013
      Dear Nina,

      Nina: As Acharn said, when one develops right understanding of realities one begins to understand who the teacher, the Buddha is. Confidence can grow. Mahaanaama was a sotaapanna, and we are only beginners. But still, we can consider that without the Buddha we would not have any idea about paramattha dhammas, we would only dwell in the world of conventional ideas, such as this problem we have and that person who spoke to us in this or that way. Thinking on and on about what is not reality.

      I translated some Dhamma issues from Thai and I quote:

      < He lives in abundance, in Pali: bahulaÿ viharåti. He abides with six vihåra dhammas, six recollections: recollection of the Buddha, the Dhamma, the Sangha, síla, the devas and liberality.

        Attha--vedaÿ, dhamma-vedaÿ. According to the Commentary, veda, which can mean knowledge, is here píti-påmojjam (rapture and delight) arising with respect to attha-kathå (explanation of the meaning) and påli, which means text. Attha can be translated as goal, but it can also mean: the meaning.

      The same is said with regard to the other five recollections. With these six Recollections as meditation subjects, the ariyan can attain access concentration but not attainment concentration (appanå-samådhi) or jhåna. His unshakable confidence in the Triple Gem conditions calm and happiness. It is said that he lives in happiness, but, as we shall see, this is an abiding different from the “peaceful abiding”, arana vihåra, which can lead to fruition-attainment. >

      As to fruition attainment, phala samaadhi, the ariyan who has attained enlightenment with lokuttara cittas accompanied by factors of different stages of jhåna is able to enter fruition-attainment with the phalacitta (fruition-consciousness) accompanied by the jhånafactors in conformity with the stage of jhåna he has attained.

      Han: Thank you very much, Nina, for the above very useful comments.
      I will study them carefully.

      with mettta and respect,
      Han

      From: Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...>

      Dear Han,
      Op 11-jun-2013, om 23:22 heeft han tun het volgende geschreven