Q & A

  • sprlrt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2013
      Hi, just a couple of Ajahn's answers to Lukas, from Hua Hin's audio, 7th Jan, breakfast - Alberto

      *************

      L: Lobha can be understood, right?
      TA: Certainly, but not as lobha yet, as a reality.
      L: As a reality?
      TA: That's why people try to know this and that, but actually it's not the beginning of knowing a reality, like now, you don't have to say that it's hard, but just... a reality, and you don't have to call it a reality, a reality appears and is gone.
      L: So, something now but we can't say what it is...
      TA: Not yet, not yet, even the names, words like nama and rupa shouldn't come in between, because you see, at this moment there's the understanding of that which experiences, which is not that which is seen, but you don't need to use *any* word because pa~n~na develops on hearing, not on repeating, at moments of repeating there is not the understanding of that characteristic, because it thinks, and that can't understand that special characteristic, that particular one.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2013
        Dear Alberto,

        Thanks for sharing the good extract!

        I also heard her replying to Lukas along similar lines in an afternoon discussion on 16th.

        Just some notes I jotted down from it earlier:

        TA: Do we have to mind too much at that moment whether it's kusala or akusala?

        later:

        TA: ...just waiting to know whether it's kusala or akusala? At that moment of thinking about kusala or akusala it's only thinking - not the direct understanding of the reality right then.

        later:

        TA:...pondering whether it's kusala or akusala with how many cetasikas and so on....Can there be understanding of that reality as kusala or akusala or just of a reality, because it arises and falls away so rapidly? Before one can know reality as not self, there is the idea of whether it is kusala or akusala, so it's not the direct understanding of that which appears.
        ****

        S: When you come to this part (not yet uploaded), you may wish to make a fuller transcript to add to your other good one.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2013
          Dear Sarah (Jon),

          > S: When you come to this part (not yet uploaded), you may wish to make a fuller
          transcript to add to your other good one.

          Sure, I'll try anyway, and thank you both in advance for the next installment.

          Alberto