Six Kinds of Samma-ditthi

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 49 , May 11, 2013
      Dear Htoo, others -

      I had not seen the six kinds of samma-ditthi before you introduced them. Being curious, I did some search and here is the result:

      DHAMMACAKKA PAVATTANA SUTTA (The setting rolling of the wheel of Dhamma)
      Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw Vol. III, No. 4, 1958
      http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/mhsdmcka.htm

      "Monks, by avoiding these two extremes the Tatthagata has gained the knowledge of the practice of middle path."

      The middle path which he had learned is the eightfold noble path. Of the eight constituents of the middle path, it would serve the purpose if an explanation is given in respect of right view (sammaditthi). In the commentaries the right view is classified into six categories, viz., 'kammasakata-sammaditthi, jhana-sammaditthi, vippassana-sammaditthi, magga-sammaditthi, phala-sammaditthi and paccavekkana-sammaditthi.' The last two being the sequence of 'magga-sammaditthi' need no particular explanation here.

      Of the first four, the 'kammasakata-sammaditthi' refers to the acceptance of the view that every individual evolution of re-birth processes is subject to the operation of good and evil deeds committed by each one. This view is an important factor in the evolution of life processes, because this can invariably promote the state of liberal and charitable mindedness. It will also encourage the practice of bhavana (meditation) which will finally result in realising Nibbana. In every meritorious act of charity, sila etc. this 'kammasakata-sammaditthi' and its other constituent factors, such as, 'sammasankappa etc.' as a whole are involved. By virtue of these factors, these meritorious acts can lead to good birth like the present life where Nibbana can be realised. Therefore, this 'kammasakata sammaditthi' should be accepted as one of the factors leading to Nibbana.

      'Jhana-sammaditthi' means the practical knowledge in respect of the mental state of four rupajhanas and four arupajhanas. If this ditthi forms the basis of Vipassana-bhavana, it can be taken as a factor leading to the realisation of Nibbana. Because of the fact that they can form the basis features, the 'kammasakata-sammaditthi' and 'jhana-sammaditthi' may be understood as 'mula-magga'. (basis state of way).

      'Vipassana-sammaditthi' virtually means the Vipassana knowledge. On the full maturity of the 'Vipassana-sammaditthi' the 'magga-sammaditthi' arises. For this reason this 'vipassana-sammaditthi' is known as 'pobbabhaga magga', that is, former part of the Noble way.

      Like all other definitions/concepts/labels that are not often seen or not useful for my Dhamma practice, soon I will forget them.

      Truly,
      Tep
      ===
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "htoonaing@..." <htoonaing@...> wrote:

      > Dear Tep, Connie, Sarah, Jon and all;
      >
      > Thanks Tep for your comment. Actually I am still a Pali-student
      > and still learning to improve. What the texts say is clear if Pali can be understood. The texts or Pali-canon has to be studied along with a.t.thakathaa or commentary and .tiikaa or subcommentary.
      > These extra texts do not have to be ignored. Without them is to swim accross the ocean of Pali-tipitaka. The texts say there are different level of panna-thing. That is sammaa-di.t.thi.
      >
      > 1. kammassakataa samma-ditthi
      > 2. jhaana samma-ditthi
      > 3. vipassanaa samma-ditthi
      > 4. magga samma-ditthi
      > 5. phala samma-ditthi
      > 6. paccavekkhanaa samma-ditthi

    • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
      Message 49 of 49 , Aug 24, 2013
        Good friend Sarah, et al

        On what you wrote in part:

        Why not tell us a little more about your background and your Abhidhamma classes in Texas? Tep also lives in Texas.

        1. The last I read; Tep lived in or near College Station; home of Texas A&M University. He is a retired professor. Approx. two hundred miles.

        2. Monday I plan to drive from the Philly Area to The Texas Hill Country. Depending on the weather, et cetera; it will be a two to three day drive and may drive thruough Austin, Texas. If so, I will try to visit subject vihara and, perhaps, meet Kenneth.

        peace...

        yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

        Chuck

        http://www.sitagu.org/austin/About/about.html