Re: Abhidhamma masters teaching walking meditation

  • htoonaing@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 49 , May 11, 2013
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "truth_aerator" <truth_aerator@...> wrote:

      > Hi KenH, all,
      >
      > >KH: So you----

      Also in commentary to DN2 there it talks about continuing meditating even while walking to the village for alms round.

      Ken, what you will NOT find is that idea that only hearing dhamma will liberate us. Abhidhamma masters such as Mahasi Sayadaw do teach meditation, including - yes, walking meditation.

      With best wishes,
      Alex
      ------------------------------------
      Dear Alex,
      There are many texts left by Mahasi Sayadaw 'Bhaddanta Sobhna'. Sayadaw preached in an order that the Buddha preached. Among the texts there is only one Abhidhamma text. He was not assumed as Abhidhammist. He prefered on meditation. Many many people attacked what Sayadaw taught especially on meditation. Actually he was one the best Masters of meditation. He was not an abhidhammist.
      Even when he preached on abhidhamma he always led to meditation practice.

      Still there are many things in abhidhammatthasangaha that do not match what the Buddha actually taught. Here someone may argue that the Buddha never preached abhidhamma on this earth. This is not to be argued. Kind of dhamma are two. One is dhamma and one is vinaya or disipline. Vinaya is to bind one to the path to nibbaana.

      The Buddha said to Aanandaa that I have preached on 'dhamma and vinaya' it will be your teacher.

      Here dhamma is 'suttanta and abhidhamma'. Suttantas are recipes and they are for reaching nibbaana. Vinaya is also bound to nibbaana. Mahasi Sayadaw left a book on vinaya. All other texts are on suttas. Again all these suttas lead to meditation. Exception is moto only.

      With Metta,

      Htoo Naing
    • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
      Message 49 of 49 , Aug 24, 2013
        Good friend Sarah, et al

        On what you wrote in part:

        Why not tell us a little more about your background and your Abhidhamma classes in Texas? Tep also lives in Texas.

        1. The last I read; Tep lived in or near College Station; home of Texas A&M University. He is a retired professor. Approx. two hundred miles.

        2. Monday I plan to drive from the Philly Area to The Texas Hill Country. Depending on the weather, et cetera; it will be a two to three day drive and may drive thruough Austin, Texas. If so, I will try to visit subject vihara and, perhaps, meet Kenneth.

        peace...

        yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

        Chuck

        http://www.sitagu.org/austin/About/about.html