Re: An Example of "Acceptable" Concentration

  • colette_aube
    Message 1 of 49 , May 10, 2013
      Hi connie,

      WRONG. It's nothing more than your inexperience to the MIDDLE PATH, to the MIND ONLY SCHOOL, to THE MADHYAMIKAKARIKA, ETC. and probably your devotion to the THERAVADA.

      > if it is Mind Only, there can be no 'external'.

      YES THERE CAN BE AN EXTERNAL because the mind is so heavily addicted and controlled by "Manifestation" It, the mind, is soooo utterly and completely addicted to, for instance, the cake actually BEING THERE, BEING EXTERNAL SO THAT THE MIND CAN APPLY THE NAME TO IT WHICH IT THEN PLACES IN A CATEGORY. You, as being a MIND, you possess this NAME and the only reason that you cling to this NAME is because you hold the truth that the NAME defines this FORM that confronts you from time to time and you want that FORM taken care of so that it, the FORM and the NAME THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE FORM AFTER YOUR MIND WHICH IS FIRST IN THE CLINGING TO THE FORM.

      toodles,
      colette

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "connie" <nichicon@...> wrote:

      > dear colette,
      > if it is Mind Only, there can be no 'external'.
      > we can have our cake and eat it, too, but not the other way around.
      > Universal consciousness sounds dangerously close to proclaiming my own space in the godhead; otoh, i'm willing to believe "the ALL" can be sensed... depends on how penetrative our minds are, i guess.
      > Arising and ceasing don't have arising and ceasing... this is i what i was stumbling around the other day... thinking about what 'real' might mean. Yathabhuta is not my word... it is 'the way things are', they say, so if the whole idea of existence/non-existence is bunk, what's the significance of a word like bhuta in the first place? Are bhuta and bhava totally different 'words' as far as what they point out?
      > Did i recently hear someone say Buddha didn't teach about samsara?!
      > arg!
      > good to see you,
      > connie
      >

      > > Exactly, Ken! Jon or Sarah has shown your acknowledgement of THE FRIVOLOUS NATURE OF THE GROUP, here, by posting connie's question to tep and tep's reply to connie.

    • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
      Message 49 of 49 , Aug 24, 2013
        Good friend Sarah, et al

        On what you wrote in part:

        Why not tell us a little more about your background and your Abhidhamma classes in Texas? Tep also lives in Texas.

        1. The last I read; Tep lived in or near College Station; home of Texas A&M University. He is a retired professor. Approx. two hundred miles.

        2. Monday I plan to drive from the Philly Area to The Texas Hill Country. Depending on the weather, et cetera; it will be a two to three day drive and may drive thruough Austin, Texas. If so, I will try to visit subject vihara and, perhaps, meet Kenneth.

        peace...

        yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

        Chuck

        http://www.sitagu.org/austin/About/about.html