Re: Practice According to the Dhamma (Pa.tipatti)

  • Ken H
    Message 1 of 483 , May 10 3:31 PM
      Hi Sarah,

      ----
      <. . .>
      > S: Many excellent comments and quotes:
      -----
      KH: Is this a good time for one of my homespun theories? :-)

      As you have often said before, the suttas were delivered in a way that suited their particular audiences. The Fire Sutta, for example, was delivered to a group of former fire worshippers, and the Mulapariya (Root of Existence) Sutta to a group of former Vedic scholars.

      The Bhikkhuni Sutta was addressed to a nun who had tried to seduce Ananda.

      We have to remember all suttas contain the same Dhamma. When we read "All is burning, monks!" we don't see this as a previously unrevealed characteristic of dhammas. The unusual framework of the Mulapariya Sutta mirrors (according to Ven Bodhi's commentary) the Vedas, but that doesn't mean the Dhamma has a previously unrevealed Vedic element to it.

      The Bhikkhuni Sutta is about giving in to one's desires, so are we suddenly to believe desire is Path factor? No, we have to know how to interpret the sutta in line with all the others.

      And that's why we have you. :-)

      Ken H
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.