Re: Practice According to the Dhamma (Pa.tipatti)

  • Robert E
    Message 1 of 483 , May 10, 2013
      Hi Sarah.

      > Hi Rob E,
      >
      > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E" <epsteinrob@> wrote:
      >
      > > >S: SN 55:55:
      > > > "Bhikkhus, these four things, when developed and cultivated, lead to the
      > > > realization of the fruit of stream-entry. What four?
      > > > Association with superior persons, hearing the true Dhamma, careful attention,
      > > > practice in accordance with the Dhamma...."
      > > >
      > > > As Jon wrote before: "In the expression "practice in accordance with the
      > > > Dhamma", the term "practice" means the actual moment of consciousness
      > > > accompanied by insight that knows something about the true nature of a presently
      > > > arising dhamma. It does not mean undertaking some kind of activity with a view
      > > > to having that consciousness occur."<
      > >
      > >R: I think this last point is a point that has been in dispute for a long time, and is not resolved. I have never seen a quote from any scripture, whether sutta or commentary, that claims that the act of meditation is wrong view or wrong practice - not a single one.
      > S: What do you mean by "the act of meditation"?

      Sitting down at the root of a tree, or in some other quiet place, putting mindfulness to the forefront of attention. focusing on the breath, body-sensation or on the momentary arising object of awareness, and practicing mindfulness or samatha meditation, as the Buddha described on countless occasions.

      Best,
      Rob E.

      = = = = = = = = = =
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.