Re: Practice According to the Dhamma (Pa.tipatti)

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 483 , May 9, 2013
      Dear Jagkrit, -

      It seems that our "discussion train" is running along just fine. But what is its destination?

      >JK: When one clearly understand dhamma which is taught with no doubt or
      rough comprehension, then intellectual understanding is fulfilled.
      Cinta-maya-panna will develop from substantial understanding of suta-maya-panna.
      One will experience and survey directly dhammas he has learnt which occur to him
      at the moment of their present.

      T: To my understanding the "knowledge based on thinking" is lower than " knowledge based on learning". But as knowledge based on learning is accumulating, one's thinking is also improving along with the advancement.

      >JK: Thus the knowledge in this level arises with direct experiencing real dhammas not only wording.

      T: We differ here as I see "direct experiencing real dhammas" coming after "knowledge which one has acquired through mental development (bhavana-maya-panna)".

      >JK: But bhavana-maya-panna is one level of vipassana not sammatha. Therefore, there should be some clarification to this issue.

      T: At the level of "full concentration" (appana samadhi) the citta is associated with the fourth jhana which is samatha, is it not?

      >JK: And according to many suttas arahants attained their enlightenment right
      after listening to the Buddha's preaching not in the middle of meditation at
      all. This is again making me more curious on this issue.

      T: Thank you for asking me as if I have experienced right concentration. No, I haven't.
      However, I think I do have enough knowledge based on learning the Suttas and have understood bhavana-maya-panna well enough to talk about it. And I promise to tell you when I don't know (i.e., I will not pretend to know).

      Now, concerning some ascetics (e.g. the famous Bahiya) who attained arahantship by just listening, we need to know their background enough before making any judgement.

      >JK: Do you think that samadhi is sammatha?

      T: Right concentration (samma-samadhi) is samatha.

      Be well,
      Tep
      ===
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.