Re: The importance of the practice of mindfulness of the body

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 49 , May 7 6:54 PM
      Hi Rob E., -

      > RE: Indeed this sutta indicates that the cultivation of kayagatasati will lead to the development of wisdom. It "almost" sounds like it is advocating meditation.

      T: It is samatha meditation that leads to wisdom (~nana) and ends at nibbana.
      Starting with vipassana (e.g. contemplation of the arising & passing away of the upadanakkhandha), given that it is done rightly, also ends at nibbana.

      Regards,
      Tep
      ===
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E" <epsteinrob@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tep.
      >
      > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri" <indriyabala@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Rob E., Sukin, Jagkrit, Alex, Sarah, Jon -

      ... ...
      > > Since the DSG philosophy states that wisdom (understanding) is the leader, so isn't it true that wisdom, when developed and cultivated, leads to perfection of mindfulness of the body?
      > >

      > From the kayagatasati sutta:
      > ...The bhikkhu, gone to the forest, or to the root of a tree, or to an empty house, sits legs crossed, the body straight, and mindfulness established in front. Mindfully he breathes in or breathes out.
      >
      > ...When he abides diligent to dispel, worldly thoughts and recollections fade and his mind gets established in a single point concentrated. Bhikkhus, in this manner too mindfulness of the body in the body is developed.
      >
      > Again, bhikkhus, the bhikkhu going knows, I go. Or standing knows, I stand. Or sitting knows, I sit. Or lying knows, I lie. In whatever manner his body is placed, that and that he knows. When he abides diligent to dispel, worldly thoughts and recollections fade and his mind gets established in a single point concentrated. Bhikkhus, in this manner too mindfulness of the body in the body is developed.
      >
      > Again the bhikkhu becomes aware, going forward or turning back, looking on, or looking about, bending or stretching, Becomes aware bearing the three robes and bowl, Becomes aware enjoying, drinking, eating or tasting. Becomes aware going, standing, sitting, lying, speaking, or keeping silence. When he abides diligent to dispel, worldly thoughts and recollections fade and his mind gets established in a single point concentrated. Bhikkhus, in this manner too mindfulness of the body in the body is developed.
      >
      > Best,
      > Rob E.
      >
      > = = = = = = = = = =

    • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
      Message 49 of 49 , Aug 24, 2013
        Good friend Sarah, et al

        On what you wrote in part:

        Why not tell us a little more about your background and your Abhidhamma classes in Texas? Tep also lives in Texas.

        1. The last I read; Tep lived in or near College Station; home of Texas A&M University. He is a retired professor. Approx. two hundred miles.

        2. Monday I plan to drive from the Philly Area to The Texas Hill Country. Depending on the weather, et cetera; it will be a two to three day drive and may drive thruough Austin, Texas. If so, I will try to visit subject vihara and, perhaps, meet Kenneth.

        peace...

        yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

        Chuck

        http://www.sitagu.org/austin/About/about.html