ADL ch. 6 (18-23)

  • LBIDD@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      from: http://www.budsas.org/ebud/nina-abhidhamma/nina-abhi-00.htm

      Abhidhamma In Daily Life
      chapter 6, paragraphs 18-23

      18. When we study the Abhidhamma we learn that there are two types of
      dosa-mula-citta; one is asankharika (unprompted) and one is sasankharika
      (prompted). Dosa is sasankharika (prompted) when, for example, one
      becomes angry after having been reminded of the disagreeable actions of
      someone else. When dosa is asankharika (unprompted) it is more intense
      than when it is sasankharika. Dosa-mula-cittas are called
      patigha.sampayutta, or accompanied by patigha, which is another word for
      dosa. Dosa.mula-cittas are always accompanied by domanassa (unpleasant
      feeling). The two type of dosa-mula-citta are:

      1. Accompanied by unpleasant feeling, arising with anger, unprompted
      (Domanassa-sahagatam, patigha-sampayuttam, asankharikam ekam)
      2. Accompanied by unpleasant feeling, arising with anger, prompted
      (Domanassa-sahagatam,
      patigha-sampayuttam, sasankharikam ekam)

      19. As we have seen, there are many degrees of dosa; it may be coarse or
      more subtle. When dosa is coarse, it causes akusala kamma-patha
      (unwholesome deeds) through body, speech or mind. Two kinds of akusala
      kamma-patha through the body can be performed with dosa-mula-citta:
      killing and stealing. If we want less violence in the world we should
      try not to kill. When we kill we accumulate a great deal of dosa. The
      monk's life is a life of non-violence; he does not hurt any living being
      in the world. However, not everyone is able to live like the monks.
      Defilements are anatta (not self); they arise because of conditions. The
      purpose of the Buddha's teachings is not to lay down rules which forbid
      people to commit ill deeds, but to help people to develop the wisdom
      which eradicates defilements.

      20. As regards stealing, this can either be performed with
      lobha-mula-citta or with dosa-mula-citta. It is done with
      dosa-mula-citta when there is the intention to harm someone else. Doing
      damage to someone else's possessions is included in this kamma-patha.

      21. Four kinds of akusala kamma-patha through speech are performed with
      dosa-mula-citta: lying, slandering, rude speech and frivolous talk.
      Lying, slandering and frivolous talk can either be done with
      lobha-mula-citta or with dosa-mula-citta. Slandering, for example, is
      done with dosa-mula-citta when there is the intention to cause damage to
      someone else, such as doing harm to his good name and causing him to be
      looked down upon by others. Most people think that the use of weapons is
      to be avoided, but they forget that the tongue can be a weapon as well,
      which can badly wound. Evil speech does a great deal of harm in the
      world; it causes discord between people. When we speak evil we harm
      ourselves, because at such moments akusala kamma is accumulated and it
      is capable of producing akusala vipaka. We read in the 'Sutta Nipata'
      (the Great Chapter, 'Khuddaka Nikava'):
      Truly to every person born
      An axe is born within his mouth
      Wherewith the fool cuts himself
      When he speaks evil.

      22. As regards akusala kamma-patha through the mind performed with
      dosa-mula-citta, this is the intention to hurt or harm someone else.

      23. People often speak about violence and the ways to cure It. Who of us
      can say that he is free from dosa and that he will never kill? We do not
      know how much dosa we have accumulated in the course of many lives. When
      the conditions are there we might commit an act of violence we did not
      realize we were capable of. When we understand how ugly dosa is and to
      what deeds it can lead we want to eradicate it.