Re: Practice According to the Dhamma (Pa.tipatti)

    Message 1 of 483 , May 3, 2013
      Hi Tep, Rob E & all,

      S: From an old message I wrote:

      >S: I think you'll agree that the Buddha only encouraged the development of
      wholesome states, so even whilst talking about "conventional subjects" or
      "meditation", it is essential to understand what kinds of dhammas are arising.
      The Dhamma, the Abhidhamma, whether in Suttas, Vinaya or Abhidhamma Pitaka,
      comes down to the understanding of this moment.

      For example, we read in the .Gopakamoggallaana Sutta, MN 108:

      (Ananda speaking):
      "The Blessed One, Brahmin, did not praise every type of meditation (jhaana.m),
      nor did he condemn every type of meditation. What kind of meditation did the
      Blessed One not praise? Here, Brahmin, someone abides with his mind obsessed by
      sensual lust (kaamaraagapariyu.t.thitena cetasaa viharati), a prey to sensual lust, and he
      does not understand as it actually is the escape from arisen sensual lust.

      "While he harbours sensual lust within, he meditates, premeditates,
      out-meditates, and mismeditates (jhaayanti pajjhaayanti nijjhaayanti
      apajjhaayanti). He abides with his mind obsessed by sloth and torpor, a prey to
      sloth and torpor....with his mind obsessed by restlessness and remorse......obsessed by doubt, a prey to doubt, and he does not understand as it actually is the escape from arisen doubt. While he harbours doubt within, he meditates, premeditates, out-meditates, and mismeditates. The Blessed One did not praise that kind of meditation."

      We also read in the texts that even wholesome states that are not the
      development of the Eightfold Path, including the attainment of mundane jhanas,
      are considered as "wrong practice" in that they do not lead out of Samsara - the
      bricks of samsara are still being accumulated at such times. Only the
      development of satipatthana, vipassana, is "right practice".

      SN 55:55:
      "Bhikkhus, these four things, when developed and cultivated, lead to the
      realization of the fruit of stream-entry. What four?
      Association with superior persons, hearing the true Dhamma, careful attention,
      practice in accordance with the Dhamma...."

      As Jon wrote before: "In the expression "practice in accordance with the
      Dhamma", the term "practice" means the actual moment of consciousness
      accompanied by insight that knows something about the true nature of a presently
      arising dhamma. It does not mean undertaking some kind of activity with a view
      to having that consciousness occur."<

      ****

      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.