Re: Practice According to the Dhamma (Pa.tipatti)

  • truth_aerator
    Message 1 of 483 , May 2, 2013
      Dear Tep, Sukin, all,

      >Questions: Without a desire for becoming an Arahant, can anyone >attain arahantship?

      No.

      >T:Since there is craving and it is unwholesome, why isn't there the >Self to drag one into rebirth?

      Craving and self view are not the same. There can be craving without self views, such as craving found in sotapanna to anagami stage.

      >T:Does the Buddha teach flexible Dhamma to wise savaka , or is his >teaching inflexible (rigid, and without exception) for fools to >follow?

      He teaches correctly. It is only clinging to views that, IMHO, cause some to create issues that He didn't have.

      If practice was wrong because it developed Self Views, and this sort of practice was widely known, don't you think that it would be all over the suttas him saying it over and over again?

      Buddha refused to say that "there is no self" to Vachagotta, and then to sotapanna Ananda, and never has said that word again, yet people who claim to understand Buddha's teaching seem to put this "there is no self" almost to the highest if not the highest positions. Not only that, this is used to totally twist the meaning of many other suttas to make them say precisely what they do not say.

      This is just my own opinion that teaching of KS is different in some crucial aspects to what is written in the suttas, vinaya, Abhidhamma and even Commentaries. This is solely my opinion.

      With best wishes,

      Alex
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.