[dsg] Re: Practice According to the Dhamma (Pa.tipatti)

  • philip
    Message 1 of 483 , May 2, 2013
      Hello Professor Tep

      > T: People who read the Suttas do not understand them the same way; that's understandable. But there are people who don't pay attention to the Suttas (the words of Buddha) even when someone post them for they to read. I think they already fail right at the beginning.

      Did it ever occur to you that cutting and pasting chunks of sutta (suttantitos? suttantots?) and thrusting them under people's noses in order to score points in an Internet debate is a rather coarse exploitation of the Buddha's sublime teaching? This morning I sat with SN 35 in the anthology, as is my wont. So much better a way to open patiently to the Buddha's words than having people like you cyber whacking me with suttantots.

      Just because people like me resist being hectored with suttantitos doesn't mean we don't treasure the suttanta. I recommend paraphrasing suttas, briefly, to demonstrate your understanding.

      Be refined,
      Be moderate,
      Be sensible,

      Phil
      Phil
      Phil

      P.s this is a one-time suggestion, conditioned by your comments. Nothing more to say on it.
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.