Re: Practice According to the Dhamma (Pa.tipatti)

  • truth_aerator
    Message 1 of 483 , May 2, 2013
      Dear Sukin, all,

      >S:How to do it or what it is? And why jump to the idea of practice?

      Read the suttas, please. Even the commentaries (VsM) talk about practice in seclusion. What you say about "no practice" contradicts suttas, commentaries, and very pro Abhidhamma monks such as Mahasi Sayadaw, Pa Auk Sayadaw, or many others.

      >S:Yes intellectual understanding is not direct understanding. >However one leads to the other by conditions and not by a self who >wishes it.

      One uses one's understanding to correctly practice. So in that way it is required condition.

      >S:Four Noble Truths are not ultimate realities that exist?

      It should not be put that way.

      'This noble truth of stress is to be comprehended.'
      'This noble truth of the origination of stress is to be abandoned'
      This noble truth of the cessation of stress is to be directly experienced' This noble truth of the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress is to be developed' SN56.11

      >S:The idea of "putting into use" may be due exactly to not >understanding what the Buddha taught.

      See above.

      >To resist craving with craving, one is not better than the other.

      "'This body comes into being through craving. And yet it is by relying on craving that craving is to be abandoned.' "
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.159.than.html

      Check
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn48/sn48.042.wlsh.html
      Desire can be used to end desire.

      >S:Worse is to resist it with self-view.

      Strawman. One doesn't need to have self-view to follow Dhamma.

      With best wishes,

      Alex
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.