Re: Practice According to the Dhamma (Pa.tipatti)

  • truth_aerator
    Message 1 of 483 , May 1, 2013
      Dear Sukin, all,

      >S:Why does one listen to the Buddha's teachings?

      To know how to practice.

      >Is it not to understand something one otherwise would never come to >know by oneself or from any other teacher?

      This understanding is useless unless one puts it to use.

      One can know that smoking is bad, yet still smokes. Why? Due to craving. And here is the difficulty lies. To resist the craving.

      >Does this not therefore make a difference in one's outlook?

      Very little after a while.

      >And one keeps on listening because one sees the value of such >understanding.

      Its almost useless unless one puts it into a practice.
      Knowing to swim and swimming are different.

      >The experience of ultimate realities? Well, we all experience >ultimate realities and even refer to them all day!

      This is irrelevant to the path. Appropriate attention is to contemplate 4NT rather than existence/non-existence. See MN2

      > > Of course, over there --we are told by Abhidhammikas who are not
      > > Arahants-- there are no control, no you, no me, no discussion, no
      > > meditation, no learning, no practice, no Dhamma -- just the >ultimate realities alone.

      That is not what suttas or Abhidhamma teaches.

      >Is seeing now "me"?

      Wrong reflection. See MN#2.

      >...this can be understood too, now, can it not?

      Better is to reflect on 4NT. See MN2

      >Are you able to see an ultimate reality arising and passing away
      >right now?

      A better thing to see is arising and passing away of dukkha. MN2.

      >One question here, which part of the Buddha's teachings should a
      >beginner go by and why?

      All relevant teaching minus improper speculative theories.

      >Some people love stories about "self" moving in time, doing and >achieving this and that.

      Talking that "self doesn't exist... Thus no control..." is exactly the same kind of speculative story about self, that doesn't (supposedly) exist.

      With best wishes,

      Alex
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.