Practice According to the Dhamma (Pa.tipatti)

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 483 , Apr 24, 2013
      Hi Sukin, (others) -

      I think it is a good idea to agree --once and for all-- what the term "practice" really means. Otherwise, someone will keep saying again and again that it is the idea of a Self trying to do something.

      > >T: With that attitude, i.e. do-nothing-but-reflecting "any of these dhammas when known would be understood as having arisen and fallen away already by conditions beyond control", your daily life in the near and far future will be more or less the same as it is now. No practice, no progress on the path! And the Wheel of Becoming keeps on turning!
      >
      > Sukin: I don't know what the future will bring, patipatti may or may not arise. But no patipatti is certainly better than miccha patipatti. And if there is only the experience of pariyatti, this should be cause for encouragement rather than being discouraged.

      T: According to the Comy. of the Sallekha Sutta (MN 8), patipatti is the "practice according to the teaching". It is also known as 'dhammanudhamma patipatti' [See SN 22.39-42.]
      I have not seen 'miccha patipatti' in the Suttas.

      Be free,
      Tep
      ===
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.