Re: [dsg] Hit your finger with a hammer!

  • ptaus1
    Message 1 of 483 , Apr 24, 2013
      Hi Sukin,

      > While mindfulness and understanding like any other sankhara dhamma
      > arises by conditions based on past accumulations, the view behind
      > meditation assumes the ability to make this happen by intention to "do"
      > certain things.

      Strawman.

      > From this one then assumes that just doing it is
      > "kusala".

      Strawman.

      And while patipatti is the result of accumulated panna
      > beginning with pariyatti, the meditator takes what must only be
      > "thinking about" what is going on from moment to moment, to be
      > patipatti.

      Strawman.

      > And while pariyatti understanding comes to see that any
      > dhamma can and must be understood at any time regardless of situation,
      > meditation is motivated by the idea that this is not so, but that
      > certain states must be aroused by concentrating on some chosen object
      > while siting in a particular posture.

      Strawman. etc, what's the point of debating with imaginary meditators above? They'll never get a chance to respond. I can be a meditator for a bit if you want an actual debate?

      Best wishes
      pt
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.