Re: Dhamma-anupassana

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 157 , Apr 7, 2013
      Dear Robert K (rjkp) -

      So you thought the Ven. Soma's idea on meditation-object-selection for individual mindfulness training is incorrect. But I know that his idea is right simply by reflecting on myself. I am a "nervous type" and the Contemplation on Feeling (vedana-anupassana) fits me like a glove!

      [Soma Thera:] "According to character, temperament and cognizing slant, one can make however only one of these the preliminary object of contemplation.

      "The nervous often keep cool when the languid fluster. The nervous type is sensitive, but strong and vigorous and keen. The nervous think forcefully and clearly.

      "According to character and temperament the body-object is recommended for the
      languid extravert and the feeling-object for the nervous extrovert. [endquote]

      RobertK: Can we decide what the next moment is? I don't think so. Is it seeing or hearing or feeling or dosa or metta or delusion or sound that just arose? It is all happening because of conditions that we are not even aware of and it is all happening very fast.

      T: In meditation we don't think about the next moment, Robert.
      [SN 36.7 Gelañña Sutta: ] "In regard to both body and the pleasant feeling he dwells contemplating impermanence, dwells contemplating evanescence, dwells contemplating detachment, dwells contemplating cessation, dwells contemplating relinquishment.
      And in him who thus dwells, the underlying tendency to lust in regard to body and pleasant feeling vanishes."

      Be happy,
      Tep
      ===
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "rjkjp1" <rjkjp1@...> wrote:

      > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri" <indriyabala@> wrote:
      > >
      > > T: Ven. Soma himself explains it differently. He says that only one of the four objects of contemplation (kaya, vedana, citta, dhamma) is supposed to be chosen by the meditator, according to his/her character, temperament and cognizing slant. Read on!
      > >
      > dear Tep
      > yes its a bit unfortunate about Ven Somas misunderstanding.
      >
      > Can we decide what the next moment is? I don't think so. Is it seeing or hearing or feeling or dosa or metta or delusion or sound that just arose? It is all happening because of conditions that we are not even aware of and it is all happening very fast.
      >
      > In the "Dispeller of Delusion"(PTS) p 137 paragraph 564 it says:
      >
      > In respect of the classification of the Foundations of Mindfulness. And this also takes place in multiple consciousness in the prior stage (prior to supramundane). For it lays hold of the body with one consciousness and with others feeling etc."endquote
      > robert

      <snipped>
    • Robert E
      Message 157 of 157 , May 13, 2013
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: It shows that there are just dhammas. Of course there are reasons, conditions why there is thinking now about 'computer' and not 'armchair', for example. Each visible object at each moment is different, each hardness experienced through bodysense is different.

        This makes sense of how such things are differentiated.

        > Nonetheless, there never is an experience of 'computer' or 'armchair', only of rupas experienced through the senses and thinking about these in different ways.

        Do you think the Buddha's point in the simile of the chariot is that there is no chariot at all?

        Best,
        Rob E.