Re: The Cycle of Birth and Death, no 1.

  • Robert E
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 5, 2013
      Hi Phil and all.

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "philip" <philco777@...> wrote:

      > Ok, throw in rupas if you'd like. You can conceptualize to the person with the name as well if you'd like. But the starting point is the accumulated understanding of Dhamma. (I.e panna rooted cittas.)
      >
      > Over and out for me on this, thanks.

      You don't have to read or reply on this if you have had enough, I am just completing it for myself and anyone else who may be interested.

      The reason I am pushing the rupas is because the subject was not the development of wisdom, which is of course a prerequisite for someone to be "wise," but the communication of the Dhamma. Listening to the Dhamma and wisely considering it are prerequisites for developing wisdom and for entering the path, so the way this takes place is very important. It just happens that the communication from those "wise cittas" to other cittas that may not know the path is the heart of how the Dhamma is transmitted.

      If anyone has more details on how this form of kamma patha takes place, I would be very interested.

      Thanks,
      Rob E.

      = = = = = = = = = = =
    • Tep Sastri
      Message 64 of 64 , May 21, 2013
        Hi Saraha, Brother Han -

        > Sarah:
        > Dear Tep & Tadao,
        >
        > Thank you for sharing the sutta and inserting the Pali:

        T: It was Brother Han, Sarah, not I, who inserted the Pali text.

        > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, han tun <hantun1@> wrote:
        >
        > > Once again, my Good Brother Tep has brought up a very useful sutta.
        > > Saadhu! Saadhu! Saadhu!
        > > I inserted Paa.li text in support of his efforts.
        > >
        > > AN 4.1 Anubuddha Sutta: Understanding
        > >
        > <...>
        ... ...
        > > (1) "It's because of not understanding and not penetrating noble virtue that we have wandered and transmigrated on such a long, long time, you and I.
        > S: This is just the point I was making. It is "noble" virtue that is being referred to. This is adhi-siila, (higher siila) that can only develop and become noble with the development of right understanding and associated path factors.
        >
        > Without the development of satipatthana, it will never be noble virtue.

        T: Adhi-siila-sikkha is deveoped by Sekha puggalas on the Path (magga). I agree with you that noble Sila is developed along with lokuttara samma-ditthi and the path factors samma-vayama plus samma-sati [See MN 117].
        But what we discussed earlier in the DSG message #130782 (5/20/2013) is Patimokha siila and indriya-samvara:
        The slightest faults in the Vinaya must be understood by all good monks, new or experienced monks, otherwise they cannot succeed. But that "understanding" is at the puthujjana level before satipatthana and panna. The Pali text of this Sutta (Anguttara Nikaya, catukkanipata caravaggo, Siilasuttam found at the metta.lk Web site) shows that Sila here is Patimokha Rules that every monk must follow. Once he is "virtuous" --having passed the Patimokha tests-- satipatthana in the four body postures is the next thing right after "what further has he to do?".

        Be well,
        Tep
        ===