Re: The Cycle of Birth and Death, no 1.

  • philip
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 4, 2013
      Dear Rob E

      Citta in the sense of citta and cetasika so cetana etc included in "cittas with right understanding."

      Phil
    • Tep Sastri
      Message 64 of 64 , May 21, 2013
        Hi Saraha, Brother Han -

        > Sarah:
        > Dear Tep & Tadao,
        >
        > Thank you for sharing the sutta and inserting the Pali:

        T: It was Brother Han, Sarah, not I, who inserted the Pali text.

        > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, han tun <hantun1@> wrote:
        >
        > > Once again, my Good Brother Tep has brought up a very useful sutta.
        > > Saadhu! Saadhu! Saadhu!
        > > I inserted Paa.li text in support of his efforts.
        > >
        > > AN 4.1 Anubuddha Sutta: Understanding
        > >
        > <...>
        ... ...
        > > (1) "It's because of not understanding and not penetrating noble virtue that we have wandered and transmigrated on such a long, long time, you and I.
        > S: This is just the point I was making. It is "noble" virtue that is being referred to. This is adhi-siila, (higher siila) that can only develop and become noble with the development of right understanding and associated path factors.
        >
        > Without the development of satipatthana, it will never be noble virtue.

        T: Adhi-siila-sikkha is deveoped by Sekha puggalas on the Path (magga). I agree with you that noble Sila is developed along with lokuttara samma-ditthi and the path factors samma-vayama plus samma-sati [See MN 117].
        But what we discussed earlier in the DSG message #130782 (5/20/2013) is Patimokha siila and indriya-samvara:
        The slightest faults in the Vinaya must be understood by all good monks, new or experienced monks, otherwise they cannot succeed. But that "understanding" is at the puthujjana level before satipatthana and panna. The Pali text of this Sutta (Anguttara Nikaya, catukkanipata caravaggo, Siilasuttam found at the metta.lk Web site) shows that Sila here is Patimokha Rules that every monk must follow. Once he is "virtuous" --having passed the Patimokha tests-- satipatthana in the four body postures is the next thing right after "what further has he to do?".

        Be well,
        Tep
        ===