Re: Discussion with Annie & Pt

  • jagkrit2012
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 28, 2013
      Hi Annie

      Just input some thought besides well explanation from Sarah and Jon.

      > A: I must say the ideas discussed regarding realities and seeing visible object, not self, attachment as cause of grief and the seeking pleasant feelings has all been very beneficial.

      JJ: As you move on, you will find that why this understanding is not only very beneficial but is the most important in one's life.
      ============

      > What is meant by detachment to physical things? for example i feel great attachment to my mothers wedding ring that I was given. Does that mean for example, I must give it away or not care if I loose?

      JJ: Detachment does not mean giving away or ignoring because that object attaches to your mind. Unless you understand more about reality of attachment, you will understand more about detachment.
      ============

      > A: how does one go on in life and better ones self if there is no concept of self?

      JJ: One can do good with self but not that perfect good. But for the one who is selfless, what do you think he is capable of when he or she has a chance to do good.
      ============

      > A: How can I be selfless without self care first?

      JJ: You can not be selfless with self care because you are adding up more self. Only right understanding about self can give idea to you that in fact there is no self.

      It is great that you enjoy learning dhamma.

      Anumodhana

      Jagkrit
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2, 2013
        Dear Sarah,
        Op 28-mrt-2013, om 8:30 heeft sarah het volgende geschreven:

        > S: Excellent! I think that "The Buddha's Path" is the best
        > introduction to the Teachings, too.
        > I think you read my mind as I had wanted to give you a copy of it,
        > but didn't have a spare one, so am delighted that you've found it.
        >
        > (Nina, I do hope we get this book re-printed soon - I meet so many
        > people I'd like to give copies of it too.)
        ------
        N: I think that Alan is mainly interested in having things on line.
        Is this not the trend nowadays, less and less books? The printing is
        not such a problem, but getting it to the people. Before, Alan sent
        packs, Lodewijk did such a lot: going to the postoffice with lots of
        packs, and quite an administration. He did an enormous load of work.
        I could not cope with this.

      • tadaomiyamoto@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2013
          Hi Nina,

          Anumodaami.

          It looks like that everything ought to be converted into PDF files.

          tadao

          --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

          > Dear Sarah,
          > Op 28-mrt-2013, om 8:30 heeft sarah het volgende geschreven:
          >
          > > S: Excellent! I think that "The Buddha's Path" is the best
          > > introduction to the Teachings, too.
          > > I think you read my mind as I had wanted to give you a copy of it,
          > > but didn't have a spare one, so am delighted that you've found it.
          > >
          > > (Nina, I do hope we get this book re-printed soon - I meet so many
          > > people I'd like to give copies of it too.)
          > ------
          > N: I think that Alan is mainly interested in having things on line.
          > Is this not the trend nowadays, less and less books? The printing is
          > not such a problem, but getting it to the people. Before, Alan sent
          > packs, Lodewijk did such a lot: going to the postoffice with lots of
          > packs, and quite an administration. He did an enormous load of work.
          > I could not cope with this.
          > ------
          > Nina.

        • annieaqua
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4, 2013
            Dear Sarah, Jon & Jagkrit

            Thank you for your replies regarding my questions. I appreciate the time taken to respond. I will reflect on these answers when I have more time on my travels.

            Best wishes,

            Annie
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 7, 2013
              Dear Nina,

              --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

              > > S: Excellent! I think that "The Buddha's Path" is the best
              > > introduction to the Teachings, too.

              > > (Nina, I do hope we get this book re-printed soon - I meet so many
              > > people I'd like to give copies of it too.)
              > ------
              > N: I think that Alan is mainly interested in having things on line.
              > Is this not the trend nowadays, less and less books? The printing is
              > not such a problem, but getting it to the people.
              S: It is the trend, but I think it's also useful (esp. in Bangkok) to have a good introductory text to give people who visit or who are travelling, like Annie and many others. I think this is the best one.

              No need to send out any packs as Lodewijk used to do (and Jonothan for years in Thailand).
              They can just keep a supply in Bkk and when any of us visit, we can pick up copies and supplies to hand out (or mail) as we wish. I also prefer just handing them out.

              Let us know if there are any plans for a re-print of this book as we'd like to make a contribution. I'll also recommend it to Ajahn when we visit.

              ======
            • ptaus1
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 17, 2013
                Hi Sarah and Jon,

                Thanks for your replies and corrections on samatha objects and practice. I still can't quite make sense of one thing, though I'm not sure I can quite form the question - why can't there be an "ordinary daily life moment" of awareness with samatha kind of panna which is unrelated to actual samatha objects?

                What I mean is a moment of samatha bhavana (so not dana and not sila and not vipassana), which is unconnected to official samatha development objects that Jon mentioned with reference to Vsm. What I mean is perhaps like a moment when something is seen and perceived in daily life, like (a concept of) a cake for example, but there's no attachment to such concept, in other words there's a sort of kusala "calm awareness" of the fact that it's a perception/concept, so with samatha sort of panna (which I guess makes it samatha bhavana), but the object is not a kasina, nor a dhamma (as we're not talking about vipassana here), nor a ... well, it's clear its a perception/concept, but it's not clung to. This is probably not making much sense.

                Anyway, my point being that this sort of ordinary moments would be a precursor to actual samatha bhavana with an official object for samatha later on. I mean, I assume nobody can jump straight into fullon samatha bhavana with actual official objects until at least some sort of "ordinary" moments of samatha bhavana happened (like my cake thing) and it became clear what is a moment with sati as opposed to a moment without sati (still speaking samatha-related only like outside a sasana)?

                Best wishes
                pt
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 21, 2013
                  Hi pt

                  --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "ptaus1" <ptaus1@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Sarah and Jon,
                  >
                  > Thanks for your replies and corrections on samatha objects and practice. I still can't quite make sense of one thing, though I'm not sure I can quite form the question - why can't there be an "ordinary daily life moment" of awareness with samatha kind of panna which is unrelated to actual samatha objects?
                  >
                  > What I mean is a moment of samatha bhavana (so not dana and not sila and not vipassana), which is unconnected to official samatha development objects that Jon mentioned with reference to Vsm. What I mean is perhaps like a moment when something is seen and perceived in daily life, like (a concept of) a cake for example, but there's no attachment to such concept, in other words there's a sort of kusala "calm awareness" of the fact that it's a perception/concept, so with samatha sort of panna (which I guess makes it samatha bhavana), but the object is not a kasina, nor a dhamma (as we're not talking about vipassana here), nor a ... well, it's clear its a perception/concept, but it's not clung to. This is probably not making much sense.
                  > ===============

                  J: In ordinary daily life, there may be kusala with any concept as object and, if there is a level of understanding of that kusala as kusala, then that will indeed be samatha.

                  The significance of the 'official' objects of samatha is that their contemplation can support the development of samatha to a particularly high degree.

                  If panna arises with, say, a kasina as object it does so not because the object is a kasina, nor because there is concentration with a kasina as object, but because of the way the (notion of) kasina is being contemplated (and obviously the same could not be said of, say, a cake :-))

                  > ===============
                  > pt: Anyway, my point being that this sort of ordinary moments would be a precursor to actual samatha bhavana with an official object for samatha later on. I mean, I assume nobody can jump straight into fullon samatha bhavana with actual official objects until at least some sort of "ordinary" moments of samatha bhavana happened (like my cake thing) and it became clear what is a moment with sati as opposed to a moment without sati (still speaking samatha-related only like outside a sasana)?
                  > ===============

                  J: To my understanding, the development of samatha as described in Part II of the Vism is the development of samatha at its higher levels, meaning that what is spoken of there is applicable to the person for whom samatha has already become well developed in daily life.

                  As I have suggested above, that development would be the understanding of kusala, of whatever kind and whenever arising, as kusala.

                  Hoping this helps answer your question/s.

                  Jon
                • ptaus1
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 24, 2013
                    Hi Jon,

                    > J: In ordinary daily life, there may be kusala with any concept as object and, if there is a level of understanding of that kusala as kusala, then that will indeed be samatha.
                    >
                    > The significance of the 'official' objects of samatha is that their contemplation can support the development of samatha to a particularly high degree.
                    >
                    > If panna arises with, say, a kasina as object it does so not because the object is a kasina, nor because there is concentration with a kasina as object, but because of the way the (notion of) kasina is being contemplated (and obviously the same could not be said of, say, a cake :-))

                    Thanks for that. To clarify, there can be kusala samatha bhavana of ordinary daily life moment kind with (concept of) cake as object (so not dana, not sila, not samatha bhavana of high degree, nor vipassana), but there cannot be saamatha bhavana of high degree with (concept of) cake as object. That is what you are saying, right? Thanks.

                    Best wishes
                    pt
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 27, 2013

                      J: I'd like to amplify/clarify my earlier remarks when I said:
                      "In ordinary daily life, there may be kusala with any concept as object and, if there is a level of understanding of that kusala as kusala, then that will indeed be samatha."

                      That kusala would have to be either dana, sila or vipassana (of an intellectual level).

                      So for example, if there is dana with concept of cake (among other concepts, such as person) as object, and there is a level of understanding of that kusala as kusala, then that will be samatha with concept of cake as object.

                      Or, in the example you gave before, if there is kusala reflection on how the present object of thinking (for example, cake) is concept and not dhamma, that would be understanding of dhammas at an intellectual level; and if there was then a level of understanding of that kusala as kusala, then that will be samatha with concept of cake as object. (Also, I've heard it said that at moment of awareness/insight, all the factors of samatha are also present).

                      In either case, cake just happens to be the object, so it's an incidental association. There's nothing about cake per se (i.e., excluding, say, cake as earth element) that, properly reflected upon, can support the kusala factor of tranquillity that is characteristic of samatha.

                      Hoping this is clearer.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 28, 2013
                        Hi Pt,

                        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "ptaus1" <ptaus1@...> wrote:

                        > ... I still can't quite make sense of one thing, though I'm not sure I can quite form the question - why can't there be an "ordinary daily life moment" of awareness with samatha kind of panna which is unrelated to actual samatha objects?
                        S: If the citta is kusala, it is calm, there is samatha, but occasional moments of kusala with calm are not samatha bhavana, the development of calm.

                        > What I mean is a moment of samatha bhavana (so not dana and not sila and not vipassana), which is unconnected to official samatha development objects that Jon mentioned with reference to Vsm. What I mean is perhaps like a moment when something is seen and perceived in daily life, like (a concept of) a cake for example, but there's no attachment to such concept, in other words there's a sort of kusala "calm awareness" of the fact that it's a perception/concept,
                        S: If there's a brief moment of wise thinking without attachment, there is calm, but such occasional moments of kusala are not samatha bhavana.

                        I'd also like to stress that most of what is taken for "calm awareness" in a day, when it seems there is no attachment to what is experienced, is either rooted in ignorance or attachment. Unless panna develops, there's no way of detecting subtle ignorance and attachment.
                        >so with samatha sort of panna (which I guess makes it samatha bhavana), but the object is not a kasina, nor a dhamma (as we're not talking about vipassana here), nor a ... well, it's clear its a perception/concept, but it's not clung to. This is probably not making much sense.
                        How would samatha bhavana develop with the concept of a cake as object, for example?
                        If there is no understanding of how such an object can condition calm, impossible.

                        > Anyway, my point being that this sort of ordinary moments would be a precursor to actual samatha bhavana with an official object for samatha later on. I mean, I assume nobody can jump straight into fullon samatha bhavana with actual official objects until at least some sort of "ordinary" moments of samatha bhavana happened (like my cake thing) and it became clear what is a moment with sati as opposed to a moment without sati (still speaking samatha-related only like outside a sasana)?
                        S: What about now? It's clear that at moments of dana or kindness, for example, that the citta is kusala, it's calm. Whilst looking at or thinking about the cake, it may be clear (even at an intellectual level) that only visible object is seen, only concepts are thought about. Kusala cittas with calm. You're interested, however, in thinking about the cake without attachment, with understanding, but of what?

                        ======
                      • ptaus1
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 29, 2013
                          Hi Jon and Sarah,

                          Thanks for your further clarifications. I understand what you're saying but I'm still not managing to get to the bottom of what I'm after, though all this helped narrow it down I think:

                          Basically, for those guys outside a sasana, I'm wondering if there is such a citta like the following, or not:

                          - it's a kusala citta,
                          - it has panna of weak samatha kind with it (so it is not jhana, nor advanced samatha bhavana)
                          - it has a concept as object, but it is an ordinary one (e.g. a cake, or music, etc), so not one of the Vsm. samatha bhavana objects.

                          In addition,
                          - it is brief - so an ordinary javana cittas of a normal mind-door process, involved in day-to-day interaction with cakes, music, etc.
                          - it has nothing to do with dana, sila, advanced samatha bhavana, intellectual right understanding, vipassana, etc.

                          Basically an ordinary citta, but instead of attachment arising in interaction with cakes, music, etc, there's a kusala citta instead that has these same (conceptual) everyday object. Hoping I've managed to explain this more clearly. My thinking is that for those guys outside of a sasana, there must be some sort of kusala that arises in interaction with everyday stuff without it being vipassana nor right intellectual understanding nor advanced samatha bhavana, since it is not accessible to most.

                          Best wishes
                          pt
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 29, 2013
                            Hi pt

                            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "ptaus1" <ptaus1@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Jon and Sarah,
                            >
                            > Thanks for your further clarifications. I understand what you're saying but I'm still not managing to get to the bottom of what I'm after, though all this helped narrow it down I think:
                            >
                            > Basically, for those guys outside a sasana, I'm wondering if there is such a citta like the following, or not:
                            >
                            > Basically an ordinary citta, but instead of attachment arising in interaction with cakes, music, etc, there's a kusala citta instead that has these same (conceptual) everyday object. Hoping I've managed to explain this more clearly. My thinking is that for those guys outside of a sasana, there must be some sort of kusala that arises in interaction with everyday stuff without it being vipassana nor right intellectual understanding nor advanced samatha bhavana, since it is not accessible to most.
                            > ===============

                            J: I cannot think what sort of kusala that could be. Unless perhaps the cake reminds the person of something kusala.

                            Do you have anything in mind?

                            In the case of the specified objects, it is the contemplation about the object that can condition calm.

                            Jon
                          • ptaus1
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 30, 2013
                              Hi Jon,

                              > > Basically an ordinary citta, but instead of attachment arising in interaction with cakes, music, etc, there's a kusala citta instead that has these same (conceptual) everyday object. Hoping I've managed to explain this more clearly. My thinking is that for those guys outside of a sasana, there must be some sort of kusala that arises in interaction with everyday stuff without it being vipassana nor right intellectual understanding nor advanced samatha bhavana, since it is not accessible to most.
                              > > ===============
                              >
                              > J: I cannot think what sort of kusala that could be. Unless perhaps the cake reminds the person of something kusala.
                              >
                              > Do you have anything in mind?
                              >
                              > In the case of the specified objects, it is the contemplation about the object that can condition calm.

                              I don't know, didn't have anything specific in mind, just seemed logical there should be a citta like that. I mean, sort of a foundation for samatha bhavana with specific objects (much) later on.

                              Perhaps if it's the contemplation about the object that conditions calm as you say, maybe then the cake can be, erm, contemplated in that way... Yeah, that doesn't sound quite right. Anyway, thanks anyway.

                              Best wishes
                              pt
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 1, 2013
                                Hi pt

                                --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "ptaus1" <ptaus1@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Jon,
                                >
                                > > J: Do you have anything in mind?
                                > >
                                > > In the case of the specified objects, it is the contemplation about the object that can condition calm.
                                >

                                > pt: I don't know, didn't have anything specific in mind, just seemed logical there should be a citta like that. I mean, sort of a foundation for samatha bhavana with specific objects (much) later on.
                                > ===============

                                J: Actually, they are not so much *specific objects (of consciousness)* as *(general) subjects*, if you see what I mean.

                                Take maranasati, for example. It's contemplation about the subject of death (with understanding), and this could occur in any number of circumstances: a discussion, seeing an accident, remembering somebody who has passed away, receive news about one's medical condition, etc. Likewise, the terms (vocabulary, imagery, etc.) in which the subject is contemplated will vary from one person to the next; there is no rule on the form of the thoughts, it's the substance that's significant.

                                Similar considerations apply to the other objects/subjects.

                                In the Vism translation the term 'meditation subject' is used. The Pali is 'kamma.t.thaana', and I understand the literal meaning of this is 'field of work'.

                                > ===============
                                > pt: Perhaps if it's the contemplation about the object that conditions calm as you say, maybe then the cake can be, erm, contemplated in that way... Yeah, that doesn't sound quite right. Anyway, thanks anyway.
                                > ===============

                                J: If we change that and say "It's the contemplation about the *subject matter* that conditions calm", it perhaps gives a better idea (and a different perspective).

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 5, 2013
                                  Hi Pt,

                                  I think the difficulty is when we start thinking of a particular situation and trying to work out what the cittas are or might be instead of understanding the present reality now. Aren't we just lost in stories about a past (or future) scenario?

                                  Having said that:

                                  --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "ptaus1" <ptaus1@...> wrote:

                                  > Basically, for those guys outside a sasana, I'm wondering if there is such a citta like the following, or not:
                                  >
                                  > - it's a kusala citta,
                                  > - it has panna of weak samatha kind with it (so it is not jhana, nor advanced samatha bhavana)
                                  > - it has a concept as object, but it is an ordinary one (e.g. a cake, or music, etc), so not one of the Vsm. samatha bhavana objects.
                                  >
                                  > In addition,
                                  > - it is brief - so an ordinary javana cittas of a normal mind-door process, involved in day-to-day interaction with cakes, music, etc.
                                  > - it has nothing to do with dana, sila, advanced samatha bhavana, intellectual right understanding, vipassana, etc.
                                  If it's kusala and not right understanding of a reality, it must be intellectual right understanding (of a concept), however weak and at whatever level, i.e. not pariyatti which is intellectual right understanding about reality.

                                  So now, I'm eating an apple - there can be reflections (naturally) about the attachment to the taste, to the apple, reflections about the transitory nature of the attachment and pleasant feelings, the value of restraint, the shortness of life, impermanence (but not of realities) etc..... just brief moments of kusala with samatha that anyone might reflect on without any understanding of dhammas as anatta.

                                  Again, more precious is just a moment now of understanding the doubt or attachment at this moment as a dhamma, not self.

                                  When we see A.Sujin in June, I'll see if she has anything to add. I understand your point.