Re: Question about Mahayana.

  • Robert E
    Message 1 of 158 , Mar 21, 2013
      Hi Azita.

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "azita" <gazita2002@...> wrote:

      > Azita: before I reply to any of the above, one question. what to you, is a dhamma?

      That's an interesting question. I consider a dhamma to be a rising moment of experience in which a particular nama or rupa is experienced by citta - consciousness. A nama is a mental factor and a rupa is a physical factor, such as hardness, etc. One particular mental or physical event is the object of consciousness in any given moment, and that moment of experience arises and then falls away, giving way to another arising moment of experience.

      Best,
      Rob E.

      - - - - - - - - -
    • Robert E
      Message 158 of 158 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: Better to just talk about realities, paramattha dhammas that can be understood now. I think this is more productive than discussions about formal meditation.
        >
        > This morning at breakfast, another swimmer started asking me about retreats and meditation because of stress issues. I just started talking about 'now', about seeing now, hearing now, 'meditation' now, even in the noisy cafe. Otherwise, there's always a thinking about another time, another place, never any understanding or awareness now. She appreciated it!

        I continue to think this is a very "zen" approach to Dhamma - I think if you called it "zen" you'd probably convert a bunch of Mahayanists, as it is very appealing, and I agree really is the heart of becoming aware, which can only happen at this moment now.

        A favorite quote of mine is sort of analogous in its simplicity, from the avant-garde saxaphonist/bass clarinetist Eric Dolphy, now deceased: "Music, after it's over, it's gone in the air - you can never capture it again."

        Best,
        Rob E.