A reminder from Thailand?

  • Lukas
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
      Dear Sarah,
      Can you remind us what you told me in Thailand. This particular reminder on visible object. What Ajahn told you when you were in hurry going to refugee camp? (As I recall). Can you refresh what Acharn told you long time ago?

      Best wishes
      Lukas
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
        Dear Lukas,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" <szmicio@...> wrote:

        > Can you remind us what you told me in Thailand. This particular reminder on visible object. What Ajahn told you when you were in hurry going to refugee camp? (As I recall). Can you refresh what Acharn told you long time ago?
        S: I think that what I told you was about how, when I was young and staying with A.Sujin in the late 70s, I was thinking that rather than just sitting around enjoying wonderful Thai hospitality and studying the Dhamma, that I should be helping Vietnamese refugees arriving by sea or offering other kinds of humanitarian help. (I'd worked as a social worker and been very involved in community projects.) I mentioned my dilemma and concerns to her.

        Her response was very simple and memorable and made a big impression at the time:

        "Khun Sarah, understanding seeing or visible object now is more important (or more precious) than any thinking"

        End of story!

        Always back to now! What is the reality appearing now?

        p.s You asked about "Abhidhamma in Daily Life" for Adam. As Nina mentioned, there will be a new edition and print run before too long. For now, there are no spare copies anywhere, although you can download the latest edition from Alan's website.
        ==========
      • Lukas
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
          Dear Sarah,
          Yes, this is that one reminder. Visible object more important, since it's there, than anything else. And this is good.

          > "Khun Sarah, understanding seeing or visible object now is more important (or more precious) than any thinking"

          > Always back to now! What is the reality appearing now?

          L: Dosa and domanassa vedana. I was thinking why it appears? What are the conditions for dosa now to arise and appear? Why it is like that?

          > p.s You asked about "Abhidhamma in Daily Life" for Adam. As Nina mentioned, there will be a new edition and print run before too long. For now, there are no spare copies anywhere, although you can download the latest edition from Alan's website.

          L: I have one copy but I am using this. I can give it to Adam a bit later. But good if anyone else can send him and make some postal contact with him. Since I know in such a places a Dhamma friend would be very helpful to him. He would be glad and more interested in Dhamma than me writing and sending a book to him.

          Best wishes
          Lukas
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
            Dear Lukas,

            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" <szmicio@...> wrote:

            > > Always back to now! What is the reality appearing now?
            >
            > L: Dosa and domanassa vedana. I was thinking why it appears? What are the conditions for dosa now to arise and appear? Why it is like that?
            S: Thinking about the story of dosa and domanassa rather than understanding seeing now, visible object now, dosa now..... just passing dhammas of no consequence. All anatta!

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
              Hi Lukas

              --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" <szmicio@...> wrote:

              > Dear Sarah,
              >
              > > p.s You asked about "Abhidhamma in Daily Life" for Adam. As Nina mentioned, there will be a new edition and print run before too long. For now, there are no spare copies anywhere, although you can download the latest edition from Alan's website.
              >
              > L: I have one copy but I am using this. I can give it to Adam a bit later. But good if anyone else can send him and make some postal contact with him. Since I know in such a places a Dhamma friend would be very helpful to him. He would be glad and more interested in Dhamma than me writing and sending a book to him.
              > ===============

              J: Can Adam receive and send mail without restriction? If no suitable books are available for sending at the moment, he may appreciate receiving copies of selected messages, transcription of talks, or parts of Dhamma texts. Please give a mailing address (and correct name). Thanks.

              Jon
            • Lukas
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2013
                Hi Jon,

                > J: Can Adam receive and send mail without restriction?

                L: This depends. But even if he could, than there is no time for that there. Whole day filled with useless activities.

                Best wishes
                Lukas
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 27, 2013
                  Dear Lukas,

                  --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" <szmicio@...> wrote:

                  > L: ....Whole day filled with useless activities.

                  S: When we think like this, it is not the understanding of realities - it is an idea of particular situations as being useful and others as being useless.

                  It's the understanding that's important. Seeing now, is the same as seeing whilst working on a construction site, walking in the forest or washing dishes. Just visible object that's seen!