Sanna and sati

  • philip
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2013
      Hi all

      Listening to Ven Dhammadaro:

      "At the moment of giving, sanna remembers what the object is but sati remembers to give."

      Phil
    • htoonaing@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "philip" <philco777@...> wrote:
        Hi all

        > Listening to Ven Dhammadaro:
        >
        > "At the moment of giving, sanna remembers what the object is but sati remembers to give."
        >
        > Phil
        ----------------------------
        Dear Phil and all,

        'At the time of giving' there have been many moments. Each moment is each citta.

        Sa~n~naa is one of 7 sabba-citta-saadhaara.na cetasika. Sanna is one of 7 cetasikas that deal with any form of citta. Sanna arises with each arising citta. Sanna is to perceive. Sanna is perception. Sanna cognises. Sanna memorises. Sanna just notes.

        Sati is totally different. Sati arises only with sobhana-cittas. Sati never arises with unwholesome cittas. Mindfulness in doing bad thing is not sati. Sati is like door-man. Whenever there is sati then the citta is sobhana citta.

        With Unlimited Metta,

        Htoo Naing
      • philip
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 23, 2013
          Dear Htoo

          Thanks for the explanation about sati and the other post about sakkaya ditthi.

          For now I just want to add that I just heard Ven Dhammadaro talking about "Sati of the level of thinking and sati of the level of characteristics."I might follow up on that later.

          Phil