Re: Meeting in Bangkok-

  • azita
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 14 6:07 PM
      Hallo Lucas, Nina

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" <szmicio@...> wrote:

      > Dear Nina,
      >
      > > N: After reading this I considered it somewhat more. It really
      > > reminds us of the inimaginable shortness of one moment of seeing. It
      > > is so short that it is immediately forgotten. It becomes yesterday so
      > > fast! And still we cling and it seems to stay.
      >
      > L: This sounds helpful. I add what I've heard on recordings. Ajahn told that the purpose is not to know meaning of different words, but to understand, have better understanding of realities right now.

      Azita: at first I thought "not helpful, makes me feel despondent" and then quickly I realized that is attachment; attachment to a self who worries about how much ignorance there is!

      In fact it is very helpful to know just how quickly dhammas arise and disappear, never to arise again and yet still, we cling.
      Who will tell us this, in this mad, mad world that encourages attachment; only our good friends in dhamma.

      Patience, courage and good cheer
      azita

      ps. courage to face the frustrations, fear, confusion and loneliness and the good cheer to realize I'm just a drama queen :)
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 17 12:02 AM
        Dear Jagkrit,

        I'm delighted to read your summary of the trip and discussions in Burma.

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "jagkrit2012" <jagkrit2012@...> wrote:

        > In Bagan, we met a Burmese friend who work for Unicef in Burma. He is a friend of one of our Thai friend since they were studying in US almost 30 years ago. He is also interested in dhamma discussion of Than Acharn since then.
        >
        > Than Acharn discussed dhamma with him for almost 3 hours. Foundation of understanding was said again and again by Than Acharn ...
        S: I'm wondering if it was the same Burmese friend who joined us for discussions in Yangon when we went with Ajahn quite a few years ago? As I recall, he worked for Unicef and was very keen to listen. He brought some family members with him at that time, even though there was some serious family illness. If it was the same person, I remember he was asking Ajahn how to help a family member who was dying and her response was simply to understand now, we know what is best to do.

        It's a shame we didn't arrange for Htoo to join you.
        > He also asked question about Aanaapaanasaati Khammathana. And Than Acharn just reminded him that one should understand what is aanaapaanasaati before doing something. Do we really understand what is breath?
        S: This is always difficult - same questions wherever we go. People think they know what breath is...

        > Than Acharn asked a question: what is the best moment in life? What is the precious moment in one's life?
        >
        > Answer: the moment of understanding.
        S: I appreciate this so much and it's what we were stressing with Annie the other day and even as I said farewell to her as she left on her trip. Just this moment, just reality now - just understanding now.

        > When Azita, Tam and Lan talked about Sigon Trip, I'm really looking forward to it. However it should be nice to have early session in June or July in Thailand before.
        S: I hope you will have a chance to join the discussions in Kaeng Krachan with us like you did last time in the first week of June. Also at the Foundation on the Sats before and afterwards.

        Thank you again for your excellent summary and comments.

        We're uploading Hua Hin discussions a little at a time as we edit.
        http://www.dhammastudygroup.org/

      • jagkrit2012
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 17 4:40 AM
          Dear Sarah and friends

          > S: I'm wondering if it was the same Burmese friend who joined us for discussions in Yangon when we went with Ajahn quite a few years ago? As I recall, he worked for Unicef and was very keen to listen. He brought some family members with him at that time, even though there was some serious family illness. If it was the same person, I remember he was asking Ajahn how to help a family member who was dying and her response was simply to understand now, we know what is best to do.

          jj: I can't tell that he was the same friend who met you and Than Acharn few years ago. He seems very busy with Unicef because of his high ranging for now. I just know that his has few years left to his retirement. However, he asked for DSG website. Hopefully, he has time to join us here.

          In fact, I joined this tip with Than Acharn and friends by luck because I didn't sign in to join this trip but my daughter's boy friend who prepared to go could not make it. He was called to work in Japan few days before the trip. I, therefore, was just replaced him. I didn't realise much about the schedule including the discussion with this Burmese friend in Began. If I have known before hand, I would have let you know and we could arrange some discussion with Khun Htoo in Burma. Too bad that was not happen. Blame it to condition ok.

          Today at Thai discussion, there was the question raised for open discussion:

          What is the closest?

          Sarah or friends would like to try?

          Looking forward to Keang Kacharn soon.

          Thank you and anumodhana

          Jagkrit
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 17 8:48 AM
            Dear Jagkrit,
            Op 17-mrt-2013, om 12:40 heeft jagkrit2012 het volgende geschreven:

            > Today at Thai discussion, there was the question raised for open
            > discussion:
            >
            > What is the closest?
            -----
            N: One's 'own' citta. Not the outward circumstances or what others do
            is important, but what our citta is like: kusala or akusala with
            pa~n~naa or without it.
            Favorable conditions for you that you could join the trip to Birma.
            Interesting how conditions work!

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 18 12:24 AM
              Dear jagkrit,

              --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "jagkrit2012" <jagkrit2012@...> wrote:
              >However, he asked for DSG website. Hopefully, he has time to join us here.
              S: Let's hope so!

              > Today at Thai discussion, there was the question raised for open discussion:
              >
              > What is the closest?
              >
              > Sarah or friends would like to try?
              S: Seeing now! Hearing....the present citta!

              > Looking forward to Keang Kacharn soon.
              S: Good! You'll meet Lan from Vietnam and Annie from Sydney. Both have a very keen interest and excellent qus.

              ====
            • jagkrit2012
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 18 3:11 AM
                Dear Nina, Sarah and friends

                What is the closest?

                Than Archarn said when citta arises, it arises to know something. No citta arises without experiencing an object or an arammana. Anything which citta knows at that moment is the closest. Because at that moment, nothing else is an arammana of that particular citta. Any object which is not arammana, therefore, is far away.

                I recall one passage in one sutta which says "citta is the innermost". Nothing other than citta is inside. When each citta arises to know arammana, that arammana contacts citta to experience it. This should be the reason why nothing else is closer than arammana arising at that moment for citta to experience.

                Than Archarn, moreover, said that when kusala citta arises, kusala elements are the closest and all akusala elements are far away. When akusala citta arises, akusala elements are the closest and all kusala elements are far. Moment by moment.

                Anumodhana

                Jagkrit
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 18 8:10 AM
                  Dear Jagkrit,
                  Thank you for your detailed answer. I also thought of innermost. And
                  as to the object, this brings us also to the present moment: the
                  object now.
                  Nina.
                  Op 18-mrt-2013, om 11:11 heeft jagkrit2012 het volgende geschreven: