Vipallasas

  • Lukas
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11 3:04 AM
      Dear friends,
      I found that Sutta on Vipallasa:

      These four, O Monks, are distortions of perception, distortions of thought distortions of view...

      Sensing no change in the changing,
      Sensing pleasure in suffering,
      Assuming "self" where there's no self,
      Sensing the un-lovely as lovely —

      Gone astray with wrong views, beings
      Mis-perceive with distorted minds.

      Bound in the bondage of Mara,
      Those people are far from safety.
      They're beings that go on flowing:
      Going again from death to birth.

      But when in the world of darkness
      Buddhas arise to make things bright,
      They present this profound teaching
      Which brings suffering to an end.

      When those with wisdom have heard this,
      They recuperate their right mind:

      They see change in what is changing,
      Suffering where there's suffering,
      "Non-self" in what is without self,
      They see the un-lovely as such.

      By this acceptance of right view,
      They overcome all suffering.

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.049.olen.html

      I would like to hear more on vipallasas. What they are? How many? What they take wrongly?

      Best wishes
      Lukas
    • glenjohnann
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11 5:35 PM
        Lukas, Sarah and Pt

        Lukas, thanks so much for posting this - it is a lovely short reminder about our distorted world and and what the Buddha gave us with his teachings.

        Pt and Sarah - here's hoping that this message is posted! I have followed Pt's very clear instructions and hopefully mission accomplished. The Yahoo address had been clicked on as the one through which the messages travelled. I now have it set on the Telus address. If you see this message, it has worked. If not, then you (PT) will be hearing from me directly.
        Thanks very much for your help. Greatly appreciated.

        Ann

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17 12:24 AM
          Dear Lukas,

          >L: I would like to hear more on vipallasas. What they are? How many? What they take wrongly?
          S: There are 4 vipallasas (perversions or distortions) of:

          a. perception (sa~n~naa vipallaasa),

          b. consciousness (citta vipallaasa)

          c. views (di.tt.hi vipallaasa).
          ****
          For each of these, the 4 perversions are the taking of:

          1. what is impermanent (anicca) as permanent (nicca)

          2. what is painful (dukkha) as pleasant (sukha)

          3. what is without a self (anattaa) as self (atta)

          4. what is impure (asubha) as pure or beautiful (subha)

          ***
          The sotapanna has eradicated:
          - the taking of what is impermanent for permanent (i.e 1a, 1b, 1c),
          - also the taking of what is not self for self (i.e. 3a 3b, 3c).
          - also all perversion of views, therefore the perversion of view that what is painful is pleasant and what is impure is pure (i.e. 2c, 4c)

          The anagami has further eradicated:
          - all perversions of perception and consciousness of what is impure as pure (i.e 4a, 4b)

          The arahat has further eradicated:
          - all perversions of perception and consciousness of what is painful is pleasant (i.e. 2a, 2b)

          See also: Vism. Ch XXII

          You gave a good summary in the sutta below.