Re: Being non-forgetful.

  • Lukas
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10, 2013
      Dear Azita,
      Thank you for your reminder. It according to the Truth. Also thanks to Phil for a kind support on 'meditations'. I think 'meditations' are very easy, comparing to really understand realities. Especially while we like to have an easy way, always.

      Best wishes
      Lukas

      > > That was told I think that wise attention is a reason for panna and unwise for ignorance, isnt it? But during a day I am mostly daydreaming, thinking sories instead of investigating and knowing realities. Like before sleep lying in a bad, instead to investigate or 'apply manasikara' to different characteristics, like a bodily sensations or thinking I am dreaming some stories. Is there any help to be less forgetful? How to have more wise attention? How to lessen an attachement to pleasant feelings and tendency to dreaming a stories?
      >
      > azita: why try to lessen attachment, isn't it a reality that can - and should - be known by panna? Isn't the growth of panna the only way to lessen any of the kilesas?
      > Can we make wise attention arise, no, we cannot.
      >
      > The more we reflect on what we have heard regarding the fleetingness of realities, the more we understand we cannot control anything; in fact, there is no 'we'. Dhammas arise and fall due to many different conditions, wise attention arises because of various conditions, we can't make it arise. But there can be wise attention at this moment, who knows?
      > Live for understanding, not for trying to control dhammas.
      >
      > patience, courage and good cheer
      > azita

    • philip
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 16, 2013
        Hi Lukas

        > Kanchana: To have more understanding that every reality which you experience is already appeared and completely falled away. No one can change anything which alerady happened. So just listen more and investigate more. That' s it.

        Yes, that's it. Of course we can struggle and find ways to be "better people" and on a certain level it is very helpful to do fewer bad deeds etc. But the Buddha didn't teach for us to learn how to do fewer bad things, he taught for the development of understanding, liberating understanding. And we know from Abhidhamma that understanding (as all kusala) must be accompanied by alobha. That is a black and white truth, but it makes meditation as practiced by modern Buddhists akusala.And of course it makes trying to be a better person akusala. And when we think with satisfaction about deep teachings there is attachment too. There can't be much kusala in a day, but just a few moments of it is valuable, and conditions more, without expectations. (Which are akusala as well.)

        Hope all is well with you, and your cousin/brother.

        Phil
      • philip
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 16, 2013
          Hi again Lukas

          p.s I continue to believe that "meditation" is very good for the health, a form of attachment to pleasant feelings/mind states that is less harmful than alcohol and drugs. As you know, I drank alcohol for 30 years, and although now I don't have a strong interest in the precept against alcohol (drinking isn't akuasala kamma patha) the main reason I don't drink is that the pleasant sensations that I can achieve through "breath meditation" are superior to those that I got through drinking. If I were still deceived, I would talk about "developing jhanas", but I know it is just greed for pleasant sensations.

          ANyways, I strongly recommend looking into yoga, which I also do. It's so good to be in tune with plesaant energies in the body, a good substitute for the drugs and alcohol you and I and so many others enjoy/have enjoyed.

          Phil

          p.s And Sarah is helping you develop your understanding of sila. I suppose I will be interested in that again someday, in line with conditions. I expect I will.