Re: Question on List of Factors in Dependent Origination by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2013
      Hi Antony

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "antony272b2" <antony272b@...> wrote:

      > "...here is a list of these factors — enough to give a general sense of the shape of dependent co-arising, and to show how unwieldy it can seem. The factors will be explained in more detail in the body of the book. Here they are numbered starting with the most fundamental factor, ignorance, for ignorance is the most strategic factor in causing the other factors to contribute to stress.
      >
      > 1) Ignorance: not seeing things in terms of the four noble truths of stress, its origination, its cessation, and the path to its cessation.
      >
      > 2) Fabrication: the process of intentionally shaping states of body and mind.
      > These processes are of three sorts:
      > a) bodily fabrication: the in-and-out breath**,
      > b) verbal fabrication: directed thought and evaluation, and
      > c) mental fabrication: feeling (feeling tones of pleasure, pain, or neither pleasure nor pain) and perception (the mental labels applied to the objects of the senses for the purpose of memory and recognition).
      > ** Antony: According to Bhikkhu Bodhi bodily fabrication is more than just the in-and-out breath, that there are more than a dozen types of bodily fabrication (wholesome and unwholesome volition) in his Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma (CMA). I don't have a copy of CMA at the moment. Could someone elaborate?
      > ===============

      J: Both BB's CMA and Nyanatiloka's Buddhist Dictionary explain the second factor of DO (i.e., 'sankhara') as meaning the cetana that is associated with wholesome and unwholesome kamma.

      The explanation given by TB differs from this (it is a different meaning of sankhara as used in the texts).

      Hope this helps.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
        Hi Lukas & Antony,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" <szmicio@...> wrote:

        > L: The paali is from Vibhangapaali, the second book of abhidhamma. On Dependent origination. Suttanta classification:
        <...>
        S: You gave a good translation and explanation about the lines Antony quoted in the context of D.O. on kayasankhara etc.

        The commentary to the Vibhanga (Sammohavinodani, transl as 'Dispeller') further elaborates:

        " 'Tattha katamo kaayasa'nkhaaro? Kaayasa~ncetanaa' ('Herein, which is the bodily formation? Bodily volition') and so on. Herein kaayasa~ncetanaa ('bodily volition') is the round twenty volitions, namely the eight profitable volitions and the twelve unprofitable volitions of the sense sphere proceeding from the body door by arousing bodily intimation. It is also permissible to say that it is the twenty profitable and unprofitable volitions arisen when they arrive at taking, seizing and moving in the body door (cf MA ii 364ff).

        " 'Vaciisa~ncetanaa' ('verbal volition') is the twenty volitions proceeding from the speech door by arousing verbal intimation. It is also permissible to say that it is the twenty volitions arisen when they arrive at motion of the jaw which is speech utterance in the speech door (cf. MA ii 364ff).....

        " 'Manosa~ncetanaa ('mental volition') is all the 29 volitions having arisen in the mind door without arousing either [bodily or verbal] intimation. Thus the Blessed One taught the doors for accumulation of kamma [showing] that the limitless beings in the limitless world spheres accumulate their profitable and unprofitable kamma by means of these three doors."

        *****

        ======