[dsg] Re: Question about Mahayana.

  • Ken H
    Message 1 of 158 , Mar 5, 2013
      Hi Howard

      -------
      >> RE: In that sense, "own-being" does not make sense to me, because the dhamma is not just one thing, but a changing process.
      Of what could its "being" consist of, other than constant transformation?

      > H: I agree with you, Robert. I also believe that this is Buddhadhamma, as is born out by the sutta quote I give below.

      <. . .>

      /Monks, these three are conditioned characteristics of what is conditioned.
      Which three? Arising is discernible, passing away is discernible, change while remaining is discernible.These are three conditioned characteristics of what is conditioned./

      (From the Sankhata Sutta)
      ---------

      KH: According to my Google search that is not a sutta, it is a Mahayana sutra.

      What us the meaning of 'change' in that sutra? Is it a translation of anicca? If so, then I think Theravada students would prefer the translation "impermanence while standing" or "impermanence while persisting."

      To my mind, impermanence while persisting means conditioned dhammas are real (they do persist for a sub-moment) and they bear the anicca characteristic.

      Ken H
    • Robert E
      Message 158 of 158 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: Better to just talk about realities, paramattha dhammas that can be understood now. I think this is more productive than discussions about formal meditation.
        >
        > This morning at breakfast, another swimmer started asking me about retreats and meditation because of stress issues. I just started talking about 'now', about seeing now, hearing now, 'meditation' now, even in the noisy cafe. Otherwise, there's always a thinking about another time, another place, never any understanding or awareness now. She appreciated it!

        I continue to think this is a very "zen" approach to Dhamma - I think if you called it "zen" you'd probably convert a bunch of Mahayanists, as it is very appealing, and I agree really is the heart of becoming aware, which can only happen at this moment now.

        A favorite quote of mine is sort of analogous in its simplicity, from the avant-garde saxaphonist/bass clarinetist Eric Dolphy, now deceased: "Music, after it's over, it's gone in the air - you can never capture it again."

        Best,
        Rob E.