Re: Question about Mahayana.

  • Ken H
    Message 1 of 158 , Mar 3, 2013
      Hi Lukas,

      Thanks for joining in.

      ------
      <. . .>
      >> KH: A person, for example, is not a momentary phenomenon, and to describe a person
      as anicca, dukkha or anatta would be of no help whatsoever.

      > L: I think this is why Buddha taught Noble Truths.
      -----

      KH: I agree. People already knew the kusala of detachment from concepts but, until the Buddha taught them, they didn't understand realities.

      -------------
      > L: The first one is The Five Khandhas of Upadana, the five khadndhas apt to be clung to are to be understood.
      Not a concept itself we cling to, but a realities. There is touch during the day, and tast and experiencings, different experiencings to be understood.
      Clinging to ruupas, vedanas, sanna, sankhara and vinnana. Here not a concept of this or that or of a person.
      -------------

      KH: And the emphasis is on understanding. So it's not about trying to experience more realities and fewer concepts.

      ----------------
      > L: If this is concept, I think, and not knowing anything on relities, this is not Noble at all. Just more and more ideas and clinging to the ideas. Not the Buddha teachings at all.
      ------------------------

      KH: At best it includes the kind of kusala that already existed before the Buddha taught.

      Ken H
    • Robert E
      Message 158 of 158 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: Better to just talk about realities, paramattha dhammas that can be understood now. I think this is more productive than discussions about formal meditation.
        >
        > This morning at breakfast, another swimmer started asking me about retreats and meditation because of stress issues. I just started talking about 'now', about seeing now, hearing now, 'meditation' now, even in the noisy cafe. Otherwise, there's always a thinking about another time, another place, never any understanding or awareness now. She appreciated it!

        I continue to think this is a very "zen" approach to Dhamma - I think if you called it "zen" you'd probably convert a bunch of Mahayanists, as it is very appealing, and I agree really is the heart of becoming aware, which can only happen at this moment now.

        A favorite quote of mine is sort of analogous in its simplicity, from the avant-garde saxaphonist/bass clarinetist Eric Dolphy, now deceased: "Music, after it's over, it's gone in the air - you can never capture it again."

        Best,
        Rob E.