Re: [dsg] Re: Question about Mahayana.

  • Sukinder
    Message 1 of 158 , Mar 1, 2013
      Hi Rob E,

      > Then they are conditioned phenomena, which is fine, but if they are
      > 'real and substantial' entities at the moment they exist, then their
      > demise is indeed annihilation.

      What do you mean by substantial entities? Must one always tie real with
      substantial? Can something not be conditioned and real at the same time?

      Metta,

      Sukin

    • Robert E
      Message 158 of 158 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: Better to just talk about realities, paramattha dhammas that can be understood now. I think this is more productive than discussions about formal meditation.
        >
        > This morning at breakfast, another swimmer started asking me about retreats and meditation because of stress issues. I just started talking about 'now', about seeing now, hearing now, 'meditation' now, even in the noisy cafe. Otherwise, there's always a thinking about another time, another place, never any understanding or awareness now. She appreciated it!

        I continue to think this is a very "zen" approach to Dhamma - I think if you called it "zen" you'd probably convert a bunch of Mahayanists, as it is very appealing, and I agree really is the heart of becoming aware, which can only happen at this moment now.

        A favorite quote of mine is sort of analogous in its simplicity, from the avant-garde saxaphonist/bass clarinetist Eric Dolphy, now deceased: "Music, after it's over, it's gone in the air - you can never capture it again."

        Best,
        Rob E.