Re: Question about Mahayana.

  • upasaka_howard
    Message 1 of 158 , Feb 25, 2013
      Hi, Alex -

      Thanks for this - it's very interesting to me.

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "truth_aerator" <truth_aerator@...> wrote:

      > Hello Howard, all,
      >
      > >==============================
      > >HCW:If when the Buddhas teaches "Sabbe dhamma >anatta," by "dhamma" he >includes nibbana, then I would say the Buddha considers that nibbana >lacks own being.
      > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

      > This is uncertain.
      >
      > "All phenomena (sabbe dhamma) are rooted in desire"
      >
      > Nibbana is not rooted in desire.
      >
      > "All phenomena have Nibbana as their final end." AN10.58
      >
      > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.058.than.html
      >
      > With best wishes,
      > Alex

    • Robert E
      Message 158 of 158 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: Better to just talk about realities, paramattha dhammas that can be understood now. I think this is more productive than discussions about formal meditation.
        >
        > This morning at breakfast, another swimmer started asking me about retreats and meditation because of stress issues. I just started talking about 'now', about seeing now, hearing now, 'meditation' now, even in the noisy cafe. Otherwise, there's always a thinking about another time, another place, never any understanding or awareness now. She appreciated it!

        I continue to think this is a very "zen" approach to Dhamma - I think if you called it "zen" you'd probably convert a bunch of Mahayanists, as it is very appealing, and I agree really is the heart of becoming aware, which can only happen at this moment now.

        A favorite quote of mine is sort of analogous in its simplicity, from the avant-garde saxaphonist/bass clarinetist Eric Dolphy, now deceased: "Music, after it's over, it's gone in the air - you can never capture it again."

        Best,
        Rob E.