Re: A question on upadana khandhas

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2013
      Dear Lukas & Vietnamese friends,

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" <szmicio@...> wrote:

      > Q: Achaan Sujin mentioned two meanings of upadana khanda : 1. as object of clinging, like you said; 2. as result of clinging. Without clinging, there would not be the five khanda. I think it means, as long as there are the five khanda, there is suffering- the first and second Noble Truth.
      >
      > L: Can u help with this.

      S: These are the 2 meanings:

      1. As object of clinging. Any conditioned reality (apart from lokuttara dhammas) can be object of clinging. When a reality, a khandha, is not the object of clinging, it is not upadana khandha. Note: even the khandhas of the arahat can be upadana khandha when clung to by others.

      2. As a result of clinging means as a result of kamma. Without clinging, no birth, no continuation of samsara. Any khandhas which are a result of kamma of therefore upadana khandha in this sense. These include kammaja rupas, such as the sense bases and also vipaka cittas and cetasikas, beginning with patisandhi citta (birth consciousness). Note: this applies to the kammaja rupas and vipaka cittas of the arahat too.

      More detail and quotes can be found in 'Useful Posts' under "khandhas - upadana".

      ======