Re: On Siila 10.

  • sprlrt
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 25, 2013
      Dear Lukas and all,

      I think that when there's kamma (i.e. cetana cetasika arising either as kusala or akusala) involving speech or action there is also siila; and that caritta refers only to kusala cetana involved in speech or action, varitta only to kusala cetana when there's no speech or action.
      As Sarah mentioned Vsm explains kusala siila in great details; on akusala siila see MN 78, Samanamundika sutta, and also Patisambhidamagga.

      Alberto
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 16, 2013
        Dear Lukas & all,

        http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Acariya_Dhammapala_A_Treatise_on_the_Paramis.htm
        "The detailed explanation of virtue is given in diverse ways in the Visuddhimagga (Chapter I), in the passage beginning: "Virtue is the states beginning with volition present in one who abstains from the destruction of life, etc., or in one who fulfils the practice of the duties." All that should he brought in here. Only there is this distinction: in that work the discussion of virtue has come down for beings who seek the enlightenment of disciples; but here, because the discussion is intended for great bodhisattvas, it should be explained making compassion and skilful means the forerunners.

        "Just as the Great Man does not dedicate the merits from his practice of virtue to his own release from affliction in the unfortunate destinations, or to his own achievement of kingship in the fortunate destinations, or to becoming a world-ruling monarch, a god, Sakka, Mara, or Brahma, so too he does not dedicate it to his own attainment of the threefold knowledge, the six direct knowledges, the four discriminations, the enlightenment of a disciple, or the enlightenment of a paccekabuddha. But rather he dedicates it only for the purpose of becoming an omniscient Buddha in order to enable all beings to acquire the incomparable adornment of virtue.

        "This is the method of practising the perfection of virtue."
        ***