Re: Question about Mahayana.

  • Ken H
    Message 1 of 158 , Feb 23 1:41 PM
      Hi Thomas,

      --
      --

      KH: Thanks, I will look for it some time, but I am interested in the meanings people give to texts rather than the texts themselves. The way I understand a Mahayana sutta may be quite different from the way a Mahayana student understands it.

      Ken H
    • Robert E
      Message 158 of 158 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: Better to just talk about realities, paramattha dhammas that can be understood now. I think this is more productive than discussions about formal meditation.
        >
        > This morning at breakfast, another swimmer started asking me about retreats and meditation because of stress issues. I just started talking about 'now', about seeing now, hearing now, 'meditation' now, even in the noisy cafe. Otherwise, there's always a thinking about another time, another place, never any understanding or awareness now. She appreciated it!

        I continue to think this is a very "zen" approach to Dhamma - I think if you called it "zen" you'd probably convert a bunch of Mahayanists, as it is very appealing, and I agree really is the heart of becoming aware, which can only happen at this moment now.

        A favorite quote of mine is sort of analogous in its simplicity, from the avant-garde saxaphonist/bass clarinetist Eric Dolphy, now deceased: "Music, after it's over, it's gone in the air - you can never capture it again."

        Best,
        Rob E.