Re: (Sukin) - and everyone else...

  • Tony H
    Message 1 of 158 , Feb 20, 2013
      Hi Pt,

      PT: > Understanding that this mind-consciousness (a mental dhamma) that thinks about a rose or its parts, or the perception (a mental dhamma) which picks out a rose out of visual data, or thinking (a mental dhamma) which keeps thinking about the parts of roses - understanding that these dhammas as they arise are anatta is what leads to ending of dukkha. It is not the analysis of rose into its parts that leads to the ending of dukkha, because roses and parts are just ideas (not dhammas). Really, there's no difference in thinking that rose has parts and thinking that a rose has indivisible essence - it's all just thinking. Understanding that thinking now is anatta though can be insight. Sorry if you already know all this and I'm just preaching to the choir.

      TH: I think this is what I have been saying. Either way, amidst everything you have described above......there is still no rose other than the appearance to the mind. Its unfindable. But you're right, I may well have missed something here or its been lost in translation. There is no duality in terms of realities and non-realities (if we share the same undertanding of 'realities' that is?). There is only appearance to mind.

      Tony...
    • Robert E
      Message 158 of 158 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: Better to just talk about realities, paramattha dhammas that can be understood now. I think this is more productive than discussions about formal meditation.
        >
        > This morning at breakfast, another swimmer started asking me about retreats and meditation because of stress issues. I just started talking about 'now', about seeing now, hearing now, 'meditation' now, even in the noisy cafe. Otherwise, there's always a thinking about another time, another place, never any understanding or awareness now. She appreciated it!

        I continue to think this is a very "zen" approach to Dhamma - I think if you called it "zen" you'd probably convert a bunch of Mahayanists, as it is very appealing, and I agree really is the heart of becoming aware, which can only happen at this moment now.

        A favorite quote of mine is sort of analogous in its simplicity, from the avant-garde saxaphonist/bass clarinetist Eric Dolphy, now deceased: "Music, after it's over, it's gone in the air - you can never capture it again."

        Best,
        Rob E.