Re: A chat with friend.

  • Lukas
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
      Hi Sarah,

      To think of others. I understand you.

      Like sending a parcel to my brother that is totally alone in rehabilitation center without any support. Or bring some wholesome vitaka, like 'do not harm anyone' to my friends here.

      Better to come to my friend for a tea. And talk peacefuly. But this is impossible here. Not possible. This people must give up knives, gunes, drugs first.

      I dont smoke for a 7days now.

      Best wishes
      Lukas

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "sarah" wrote:

      > Dear Lukas & Lukas23,
      >
      > I'm sure it's very difficult for Lukas23 to come out of prison and not to drink or do anything bad. There are bound to be a lot of fears and worries too.
      >
      > As we know, only an anagami (the one who has no more attachment to sense objects) has no more fear or worries.
      >
      > It helps a lot to discuss and understand the Dhamma, to know that all the problems in life arise in the mind - they are just the kinds of thinking with ignorance, attachment and aversion.
      >
      > No one can get rid of these unwholesome ways of thinking because there is no One, no Person in reality. There are just moments of seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touching, followed by useful or useless ways of thinings.
      >
      > What are useful ways of thinking, you may ask? When there is concern and care for other people's welfare instead of our own for a change, when there is some generosity or kind help, when there is avoiding drink, telling lies or stealing, when there is a little understanding of the present realities, these are all beneficial ways of thinking and acting.
      >
      > When we are so concerned with ourselves, our own problems and our own wishes, we forget all about what is beneficial in this very precious life.
      >
      > Life just exists for a moment - don't waste the opportunity to develop more understanding and goodness!
      >
      > Finally, you have many, many good Buddhist friends, like here! As you're both having a difficult time, you also need the assistance of a supportive community, such as the one that Lukas was staying at before his trip to Thailand. Both of you, get the help and support you need now before anything happens which you will regret.
      >
      > It shows courage to receive help. To think it's not necessary because one has some understanding of the Dhamma is an "I am anatta" approach. Pls don't delay!
      >
      > Metta and very best wishes to you both.
      >
      > Sarah
      >
      > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear friends,
      > > Here is a chat with Lukas, my bestfriend who I grow up with. He went out prison after 3 years there. This was his 3rd stay in prison untill now. He is 23 years old now. We had quite interesting conversation. He dont speak english. I translate this.
      > >

      > > Lukas23: How are you feeling now, bro? Are you better now?
      > > me: yes, better.
      > > Lukas23: that's good...but it's something wrong with us..that we have like this..we wake up early morning...and we regret yesterday day, even if nothing would have happened that day.
      > > me: Yeap, I have like this for sure. Such kind of accumulations.
      > > Lukas23: Exactly! and the fear of tomorrow..not to drink and take anything and not to do anything bad and round and round the same kinds of thoughts. Fu.. How to get rid of this?
      > >
      > > How to get rid of this?
      > =====

    • jagkrit2012
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
        Dear Lukas

        > L: I don't smoke for a 7days now.

        JJ: I ran into one of the Dhammapada #160

        Oneself indeed is master of oneself,
        Who else could other master be?
        With oneself perfectly trained,
        One obtains a refuge hard to gain.

        Smoking will not be your arammana-thippati-pacaaya anymore. (it was mine too long time ago)

        Good luck friend

        Jagkrit
      • Tam Bach
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
          Dear Lukas,

          L: Like sending a parcel to my brother that is totally alone in rehabilitation center without any support. Or bring some wholesome vitaka, like 'do not harm anyone' to my friends here.
          Tam B:
          -------------------------
          L: Better to come to my friend for a tea. And talk peacefuly. But this is impossible here. Not possible. This people must give up knives, gunes, drugs first.
          Tam B: Or you can have a tea now, and discuss the Dhamma with friends on DSG.
          ------------------------

          L: I dont smoke for a 7days now.
          Tam B:
          I will tell other friends of the Vietnamese team about this: Hai, Mai, little Tam, Hang, Lan and Son- we are having New Year holiday together, discussing the Dhamma too.
          Metta from all of us,
          Tam

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
            Hi Lukas & friends,

            Good to hear from you!

            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" wrote:

            > To think of others. I understand you.
            >
            > Like sending a parcel to my brother that is totally alone in rehabilitation center without any support. Or bring some wholesome vitaka, like 'do not harm anyone' to my friends here.
            S: Send him our best wishes. Tell him to stay strong and be courageous. Awareness and understanding anytime. He's making a good investment for life.

            > Better to come to my friend for a tea. And talk peacefuly. But this is impossible here. Not possible. This people must give up knives, gunes, drugs first.
            >
            > I dont smoke for a 7days now.
            S: Best wishes for the next 7 days too - one moment at a time. Not easy, but if there are the conditions to appreciate the Dhamma now, to begin to understand reality now, there's nothing that cannot be achieved. The battle hardest of all to win is the path to the Deathless:

            From Itivuttaka:
            § 82. {Iti III.33; Iti 75}

            Woodward’s translation of the final verse (PTS) is:

            “Beholding him victorious in the fight,
            Disciple of the rightly wakened One,
            Even the devas call aloud in honour
            Of him the mighty one, of wisdom ripe:
            ‘We worship thee, O thoroughbred of men!
            For thou hast won the battle hard to win,
            Routing by thy release (from birth-and-death)
            The host of Death that could not hinder more,’
            Thus do they praise him who has won the goal.
            Surely the devas praise in him that thing
            By which one goes to mastery of Death.”
            ****
            S: On giving up weapons, drugs and the cause of suffering:

            Sammohavinodani (Dispeller of Delusion, PTS) 846:

            “ ‘Herein, what is sense-desire clinging? That which in sense-desires is
            lust for sense-desires, greed for sense-desires, delight in sense-desires,
            craving for sense-desires, love of sense-desires, fever of sense-desires,
            infatuation with sense-desires, cleaving to sense-desires - this is called
            sense-desire clinging’ (Dhs 1214). Firmness of craving is a name for
            subsequent craving that has become firm owing to previous craving, which
            acts as its decisive support condition. But some have said: ‘Craving is
            the aspiring to an object that one has not yet reached, like a thief’s
            stretching out his hand in the dark; clinging is the grasping of an
            object that one has reached, like the thief’s grasping the goods. These
            states are opposed to fewness of wishes (appicchaata) and contentment.
            Hence they are the root of the suffering due to seeking and guarding [of
            property]’ (see Dii58f). The remaining three kinds of clinging are in
            brief simply [wrong] view.”
            ****
            Best wishes, Lukas