Re: Notional Existence (Ken)

  • Tony H
    Message 1 of 158 , Feb 11, 2013
      Hi Ken,

      KH: We have one or two DSG members who occasionally tell us there really is only nibbana, and anything else is just a misleading appearance of nibbana. Is that what you are saying?

      TH: Not really. I am saying that whatever appears to our mind is empty. This excludes no phenomena, at all, anywhere. Including Nibbana. All dependent relate phenomena are empty.

      I am struggling to give any different examples :-)

      There were/are some schools in the Mahayana that posit that there is only the mind that projects 'realities'. This too (according to the Prasangika school) is false as mind itself is a dependent related phenomena that is ultimately irreducible and therefore by nature its appearance is false. So, Mind is empty too. There is no end of the road phenomena that can be identified as the source of all. Not mind not consciousness.

      So, according to this logic the ultimate nature of reality is is lack of inherent existence.
    • Robert E
      Message 158 of 158 , Apr 27, 2013
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: Better to just talk about realities, paramattha dhammas that can be understood now. I think this is more productive than discussions about formal meditation.
        >
        > This morning at breakfast, another swimmer started asking me about retreats and meditation because of stress issues. I just started talking about 'now', about seeing now, hearing now, 'meditation' now, even in the noisy cafe. Otherwise, there's always a thinking about another time, another place, never any understanding or awareness now. She appreciated it!

        I continue to think this is a very "zen" approach to Dhamma - I think if you called it "zen" you'd probably convert a bunch of Mahayanists, as it is very appealing, and I agree really is the heart of becoming aware, which can only happen at this moment now.

        A favorite quote of mine is sort of analogous in its simplicity, from the avant-garde saxaphonist/bass clarinetist Eric Dolphy, now deceased: "Music, after it's over, it's gone in the air - you can never capture it again."

        Best,
        Rob E.