Re: [dsg] for nina

  • rjkjp1
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
      Dear Nina
      There were numerous posts referring to you, by several people over quite a few pages, I guess you skimmed the 300 posts.
      I will be in Bangkok in June and July I but maybe too soon for you. Vietnam sounds like it was nice.
      With respect
      Robert

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom wrote:

      > Dear Robert,
      > Thank you. I did not quite see where you quoted, but it is OK.
      > You missed quite some discussions, perhaps Vietnam in Sept? I will
      > come again.
      > Nina.
      > Op 8-feb-2013, om 9:56 heeft rjkjp1 het volgende geschreven:
      >
      > > Dear Nina
      > > thought you might like to read this as it has some quotes from yoru
      > > interview.
      > > http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15952
      > > with respect
      > > robert

    • Tam Bach
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
        Dear Nina,

        Seems like you are prepared to join us in Vietnam in Sept. We are very glad!

        Robert, I don't know if you can make it to Vietnam this time, but you are most welcome!

        The thread Robert has mentioned is long, so I copy here the part you (Nina) are quoted and one question:

        When you write about the development of vipassana, you don’t speak about concentration methods or sitting practice.
        Vipassana, insight, is actually panna (wisdom) which has been developed to clearly understand realities as they are, as non-self. It is not some special practice, it is not sitting or breathing. If one wishes to induce calm by sitting one still wants to get something. There is subtle clinging which can pass unnoticed. The aim of vipassana is to have less ignorance of realities, including our defilements, even subtle ones. Therefore it can and should be developed in daily life; any object can be an object for mindfulness and understanding.

        But can’t sitting quietly be an assistance for mindfulness to arise?
        Even mindfulness is anatta, non-self, it cannot be induced just by concentrating or trying to be calm or by sitting quietly. The conditions for mindfulness to arise are listening to the Buddha’s teaching, discussing, considering and pondering over realities. And it develops by studying realities as they appear in our daily lives. Some people find it difficult to accept that one cannot force sati to arise, and they wonder whether this means idleness. The Buddha taught us to develop all good qualities, such as generosity and metta, along with right understanding. It is understanding, actually, that should be emphasized.

        Nevertheless, the Buddha taught concentration practices such as anapanasati--breathing mindfulness. Doesn’t that suggest that they are important?
        We read about this in the scriptures because in the Buddha’s time there were people who were able to concentrate on the breath. This is a very subtle rupa, which is produced by citta. It is most difficult to be aware of breath, before one knows it one takes for breath what is something else, air produced by other factors, not breath. The commentary to the Kindred sayings V, The lamp, states that only Maha-Purisas, the great disciples can practice it in the right way. Thus, the Buddha did not teach that everyone should practice it. To those who were gifted, who had the accumulations to do so, he taught it. He explained that there is no self who is breathing, and that breath is only rupa. -- Interview with Nina van Gorkom

        One question is:

        In the interview Nina van Gorkom says "It is most difficult to be aware of breath, before one knows it one takes for breath what is something else, air produced by other factors, not breath". It there a slightly different definition of "breath here? What does "air produced by other factors" mean?

        Tks and metta,
        Tam B

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
          Dear Rob K,

          Why not share some of the quoted parts here to make it easier for Nina and anyone else to read and comment further on if they wish.

          Have you and your wife had your baby yet? How's Kuwait going?

          Hope to see you in Bangkok sometime.

          If anyone else is interested to join the next trip to Vietnam (Saigon and S.Vietnam) durig the first 2 weeks of Sept, pls let Tam and myself know for more details in due course.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
            Dear Tam Bach,
            For example when you are blowing out the air. Or sighing.
            Nina
            Op 9-feb-2013, om 3:37 heeft Tam Bach het volgende geschreven:

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2013
              dear Nina
              one of the members at my forum recently put one of your books on his website
              thought you would be delighted to hear that, as I am

              http://www.abhidhamma.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=517

              with respect
              robert
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2013
                Dear Robert,
                I appreciate very much the interest in the Dhamma people in Cambodia have. Please convey my anumodana.
                Nina.
                Op 1 dec 2013, om 14:50 heeft <rjkjp1@...> het volgende geschreven: