Re: reminder.

  • jagkrit2012
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
      Dear Lukas

      > L: I suffer a lot,while a thought to have a drink comes. I have this feeling in my chest and body that strucks me down. I go out for a walk and shaking, fighting against not to drink. This is not good, not good.

      JJ: But refraining from it is good, this patience is good. Body suffering is body suffering: it is not mind suffering. Patience (Khanti) is burning craving to drinking.
      ==================

      > It's like walking on the line in the air and being balanced by strong winds. I didnt fall yet and i dont know when it happens, but I am sure I will fall, sooner or later. Then I ask myself, why to prolong this suffering?

      JJ: Very good imagination. I can get the picture. I remember Wojtech once said " Sorry!! your problem is not real".

      Why's that?

      What is real then?

      Vipaka, Kusala, Akusala, Kiriya. Plus accumulation +++++

      Then you can answer yourself why to prolong this suffering?

      Than Acharn Sujin once said if there is no suffering how can one exercise khanti perfection?

      Little by little but never stop.

      I'm by your side in this test of khanti perfection.

      Anumodhana

      Jagkrit
    • Tam Bach
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013

        Dear Lukas,

        L: I suffer a lot,while a thought to have a drink comes. I have this feeling in my chest and body that strucks me down. I go out for a walk and shaking, fighting against not to drink. This is not good, not good.
        Tam B:  Good, Lukas, feeling is real, it can be understood. It is not you, no one. dhamma is your teacher now :-)
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _

        L: It's like walking on the line in the air and being balanced by strong winds. I didnt fall yet and i dont know when it happens, but I am sure I will fall, sooner or later.
        Tam B: Thinking a long story and taking it for real!
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _
        L: Than I ask myself, why to prolong this suffering?
        Tam B: Doesn't suffering arises and falls away? Who or what prolong it?
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _
        Best wishes
        Lukas

        With metta,
        Tam
        Ps: We love reading your posts  on paramatha dhammas and paccaya on DSG.  Aren't they not now ? :-)

      • Lukas
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
          Thank you for reminder, Tam. Helpful.
          Best wishes
          Lukas

          --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Tam Bach wrote:

          > Dear Lukas,
          >
          > L: I suffer a lot,while a thought to have a drink comes. I have this feeling in my chest and body that strucks me down. I go out for a walk and shaking, fighting against not to drink. This is not good, not good.
          > Tam B:  Good, Lukas, feeling is real, it can be understood. It is not you, no one. dhamma is your teacher now :-)
          > _ _ _ _ _ _ _
          >
          > L: It's like walking on the line in the air and being balanced by strong winds. I didnt fall yet and i dont know when it happens, but I am sure I will fall, sooner or later.
          > Tam B: Thinking a long story and taking it for real!
          > _ _ _ _ _ _ _
          > L: Than I ask myself, why to prolong this suffering?
          > Tam B: Doesn't suffering arises and falls away? Who or what prolong it?
          > _ _ _ _ _ _ _
          > Best wishes
          > Lukas
          >

          > With metta,
          > Tam
          > Ps: We love reading your posts  on paramatha dhammas and paccaya on DSG.  Aren't they not now ? :-)

        • colette_aube
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
            Hi Nina,

            > Nina: Right understanding is so weak.

            colette: interesting concept and application.

            I've have not taken a PHYSICS course but I know that GRAVITY is extremely weak. For instance I or you, can pick up a pen or pencil, pick up an ice cube, pick up a blade of grass, etc, and this action is directly because of the WEAKNESS OF GRAVITY. And yet without GRAVITY the planets would not be able to stay in an orbit around the sun, we would not exist.

            Yea, in a sense of the concept, "Right understanding is so weak". If a practitioner did not and could not achieve a form of RIGHT UNDERSTANDING they could not rise to the lofty heights of rarified air, they'd really have trouble MEDITATING.

            IN FACT, there are a lot of "obscurations" interupting or blocking their ability to MEDITATE. An average person living a normal life in the "9 - 5 world" would be faced with a daunting task to DENY the REALITY that they are IMMERSED in because of the "routine" of having to conform to the edicts of society. For yeas I have a close friend who has a lot of "difficulties" in her and because of her "9 - 5 reality", where I recognized instantly that YOGA and MEDITATION are the perfect prescription to deal with and potentially solve these "difficulties". "People listening without hearing" Simon and Garfunkel, I repeated my suggestion of taking a YOGA class or even practicing on her own, at home yet I became so exasperated by her INABILITY to begin to attempt to practice that I just stopped reminding her of the benefits that YOGA and MEDITATION can bring to her life.

            After thinking about your "simple" truth I believe that even if she did attempt, at home, YOGA, I believe that she would become agitated at the dull practice where she would THEN build more reasons to NOT PRACTICE.

            Thank you for the talk.

            toodles,
            colette

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2013
              Dear Colette,

              No yoga but right understanding of the present reality.
              This is a good reminder you give: listening without hearing.
              actually, it can happen often that we just listen to recordings but
              not really consider thoroughly what we hear. We are passive
              listeners. Only listening and truly considering what we hear can
              condition right understanding.
              So often we hear: there is seeing now, but is there any understanding
              of the reality that just experiences visible object? It has a
              characteristic and it can be realized without having to think about
              it. It is very close, just now.
              Nina.
              Op 1-feb-2013, om 21:48 heeft colette_aube het volgende geschreven:

              > For yeas I have a close friend who has a lot of "difficulties" in
              > her and because of her "9 - 5 reality", where I recognized
              > instantly that YOGA and MEDITATION are the perfect prescription to
              > deal with and potentially solve these "difficulties". "People
              > listening without hearing" Simon and Garfunkel, I repeated my
              > suggestion of taking a YOGA class or even practicing on her own,

            • upasaka_howard
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 2, 2013
                Hi, Colette (and Nina) -

                --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "colette_aube" wrote:

                > Hi Nina,
                >
                > > Nina: Right understanding is so weak.
                >

                > colette: interesting concept and application.
                >
                > I've have not taken a PHYSICS course but I know that GRAVITY is extremely weak. For instance I or you, can pick up a pen or pencil, pick up an ice cube, pick up a blade of grass, etc, and this action is directly because of the WEAKNESS OF GRAVITY. And yet without GRAVITY the planets would not be able to stay in an orbit around the sun, we would not exist.
                >
                > Yea, in a sense of the concept, "Right understanding is so weak". If a practitioner did not and could not achieve a form of RIGHT UNDERSTANDING they could not rise to the lofty heights of rarified air, they'd really have trouble MEDITATING.
                >
                > IN FACT, there are a lot of "obscurations" interupting or blocking their ability to MEDITATE. An average person living a normal life in the "9 - 5 world" would be faced with a daunting task to DENY the REALITY that they are IMMERSED in because of the "routine" of having to conform to the edicts of society. For yeas I have a close friend who has a lot of "difficulties" in her and because of her "9 - 5 reality", where I recognized instantly that YOGA and MEDITATION are the perfect prescription to deal with and potentially solve these "difficulties". "People listening without hearing" Simon and Garfunkel, I repeated my suggestion of taking a YOGA class or even practicing on her own, at home yet I became so exasperated by her INABILITY to begin to attempt to practice that I just stopped reminding her of the benefits that YOGA and MEDITATION can bring to her life.
                >
                > After thinking about your "simple" truth I believe that even if she did attempt, at home, YOGA, I believe that she would become agitated at the dull practice where she would THEN build more reasons to NOT PRACTICE.
                >
                > Thank you for the talk.
                >
                > toodles,
                > colette
                =================================
                Colette, I'd just like to mention to you that I found this post to be the clearest, well layed out, and most interesting of any I've read of yours. Very well done, IMHO!! Thank you! :-)

                Seamless Interdependence

                /A change in anything is a change in everything/

                (Anonymous)
              • colette_aube
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Good Morning Howard,

                  " Colette, I'd just like to mention to you that I found this post to be the clearest, well layed out, and most interesting of any I've read of yours. Very well done, IMHO!! Thank you! :-)
                  > "

                  colette: Thank you, I think. Coming from a colleague, a fellow comedian like yourself, giving ME a positive statement causes me to wonder (sheepish grin included) whether I should use Yosemite Sam's line "sufferin' suckatash" or Snagglepuss's line "Heaven's to mergatroid" or even to just go with Gomer Pyles saying "Shazam" so that those robots enslaved to LINEAR THOUGHT can "get the picture" the way THEY SHOULD.

                  I've never been able to write "papers" good enough for those "numbers crunchers" that only live as though LIFE and LIVING were exactly the way that THE DIVINE BALANCE SHEET appears with all the little numbers lined up in nice neat columes and rows so that their infantile mental illness of MEGALOMANIA can be properly worshiped and glorified (see masturbation, self glorification)

                  I, myself, was amazed just before I pushed "send", thinking "damn, did I write that, wow". I think it's a RESULTANT PHENOMENA from my heavy focus in MEDITATION that I've been working on these past months.

                  Thanx for the compliment! (lets hope it doesn't happen again, right? It could be signs of a serious illness that I have.)

                  toodles
                  colette

                  --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, upasaka@... wrote:
                  <...>
                  > Colette, I'd just like to mention to you that I found this post to be the clearest, well layed out, and most interesting of any I've read of yours. Very well done, IMHO!! Thank you! :-)
                  <..>
                • Ken H
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 2, 2013
                    Hi Colette (and Howard),

                    ---
                    <. . .>
                    > C: If a practitioner did not and could not achieve a form of RIGHT UNDERSTANDING they could not rise to the lofty heights of rarified air, they'd really have trouble MEDITATING.
                    ---

                    KH: Imagine if you understood the world to be composed entirely of dhammas (fleeting, conditioned, impersonal phenomena). With that kind of understanding you wouldn't try to do anything.

                    And that includes meditation. Right understanding of conditioned reality removes any reason to meditate – or to try to do anything.

                    There are only dhammas, over which there is no control. Get used to it! :-)

                    Ken H
                  • philip
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 2, 2013
                      Hi Nina

                      Thank you for posting a reminder from Ajahn Sujin:

                      > Acharn:Each reality has gone, sound, sight, nothing
                      > is left. Is one attached to someone in one's thoughts? But actually
                      > it is only seeing, thinking, visible object.

                      And mostly thinking thinking thinking. I have some intetest in whether being have existence but it is a peripheral topic, irrelevant to the core of Dhamma, it's just a topuc for idle speculation. Because we know that there can only be experience of dhammas (e.g seeing and visible object, and thinking about concepts, whether concepts of realities (seeing and visible object understood intellectually) or concept of "people." We cannot possibly know people except by thinking. We are never truly with our loved ones. Naomi is in Europe now, on business. (Happy for the story of how well she is doing.) But when she is sitting in a room next to me, I can only think about her, as I think about her now. We always live in dreams of people, that is the only way they xan be known. (Whether beings exist or not, another thing we can only think about, never prove through experience.)

                      Thanks again. I would be very grateful if occasionally you could post reminders from
                      Ajahn Sujin. I will do so as well.

                      Phil
                    • colette_aube
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 2, 2013
                        Alas, RIGHT UNDERSTANDING = DEPENDENT ORIGINATION, momentary, in flux, ever changing, ILLUSORY? Ken H. aren't you CLINGING TO THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A FOUNDATION UPON WHICH TO BUILD YOUR TEMPLE (see ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK by Murray Head, see also ultra-conservative Jews wanting to get rid of all Muslims from the alleged "temple mount")?

                        Release this delusion of a PERMANANCE EXISTING. Lord Yama wouldn't have it any other way, after all, he has been created only holding the Wheel of Samsara (life, death, rebirth) all these living moments, no?

                        It was a good attempt but I've seen bait dangling on the end of a rope, the way you've put forth, before and don't want to bother with that re-run again.

                        Thanx, though.

                        toodles,
                        colette

                        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Ken H" wrote:

                        > Hi Colette (and Howard),
                        >
                        > ---
                        > <. . .>
                        > > C: If a practitioner did not and could not achieve a form of RIGHT UNDERSTANDING they could not rise to the lofty heights of rarified air, they'd really have trouble MEDITATING.
                        > ---
                        >
                        > KH: Imagine if you understood the world to be composed entirely of dhammas (fleeting, conditioned, impersonal phenomena). With that kind of understanding you wouldn't try to do anything.
                        >
                        > And that includes meditation. Right understanding of conditioned reality removes any reason to meditate – or to try to do anything.
                        >
                        > There are only dhammas, over which there is no control. Get used to it! :-)
                        >
                        > Ken H

                      • Lukas
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 3, 2013
                          Dear Phil,

                          >We cannot possibly know people except by thinking. We are never truly >with our loved ones. Naomi is in Europe now, on business. (Happy for >the story of how well she is doing.) But when she is sitting in a room next to me, I can only think about her, as I think about her now. We always live in dreams of people, that is the only way they xan be known.

                          L: Who, the hell, is Noami? Is it your wife?
                          I would really like to hear more about you. I am very happy to know my friends.

                          Best wishes
                          Lukas
                        • philip
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 3, 2013
                            Hi Lukas

                            > L: Who, the hell, is Noami? Is it your wife?
                            > I would really like to hear more about you. I am very happy to know my friends.

                            Yeah, she's my wife, though "partner" is a more appropriate word. There is a ***great***story about Naomi, but I shouldn't really disclose it here - though I think I have in the past!
                            It'll have to wait until we meet in Thailand or Vietnam someday...

                            phil
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 3, 2013
                              Dear Phil,
                              Very well said, thanks for the reminder. I am dreaming a lot.
                              Nina.
                              Op 2-feb-2013, om 23:14 heeft philip het volgende geschreven:

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 3, 2013
                                Hi, Colette -

                                --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "colette_aube" wrote:

                                > Good Morning Howard,
                                >
                                > " Colette, I'd just like to mention to you that I found this post to be the clearest, well layed out, and most interesting of any I've read of yours. Very well done, IMHO!! Thank you! :-)
                                > > "
                                >
                                > colette: Thank you, I think. Coming from a colleague, a fellow comedian like yourself, giving ME a positive statement causes me to wonder (sheepish grin included) whether I should use Yosemite Sam's line "sufferin' suckatash" or Snagglepuss's line "Heaven's to mergatroid" or even to just go with Gomer Pyles saying "Shazam" so that those robots enslaved to LINEAR THOUGHT can "get the picture" the way THEY SHOULD.
                                >
                                > I've never been able to write "papers" good enough for those "numbers crunchers" that only live as though LIFE and LIVING were exactly the way that THE DIVINE BALANCE SHEET appears with all the little numbers lined up in nice neat columes and rows so that their infantile mental illness of MEGALOMANIA can be properly worshiped and glorified (see masturbation, self glorification)
                                >
                                > I, myself, was amazed just before I pushed "send", thinking "damn, did I write that, wow". I think it's a RESULTANT PHENOMENA from my heavy focus in MEDITATION that I've been working on these past months.
                                >
                                > Thanx for the compliment! (lets hope it doesn't happen again, right? It could be signs of a serious illness that I have.)
                                -------------------------
                                HCW:
                                LOL! Or maybe it's me! ;-))
                                ----------------------------

                                =============================

                                > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, upasaka@ wrote:
                                > <...>
                                > > Colette, I'd just like to mention to you that I found this post to be the clearest, well layed out, and most interesting of any I've read of yours. Very well done, IMHO!! Thank you! :-)
                                > <..>

                              • colette_aube
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 3, 2013
                                  Hi Nina,

                                  "
                                  > No yoga but right understanding of the present reality.
                                  > This is a good reminder you give: listening without hearing.
                                  > actually, it can happen often that we just listen to recordings but "

                                  colette: MISINTERPRETATION OF MY MEANING. My INTENTION was to show the VALUE, through EXPERIENCE, of the MEDITATION because, I have to admit, I am an ADVOCATE OF YOGA and now MEDITATION.

                                  I intended on SHOWING that the practices of YOGA and MEDITATION are both extemly difficult practices. THEY BOTH REQUIRE WORK where we find the meaning of YOGA: "to Yoke". WORK requires CONCENTRATION. In a sense, her life is in turmoil, like billions of other people enslaved to the concept of a "9 - 5 work a day" REALITY. She HAS acknowledged my advise to her yet she does not have the time nor the financing to afford a professional yoga class (shit, she lives a few blocks away from "Chi-Town Shakti" which is a YOGA center). The point of bringing YOGA into it, as a VEHICLE, was to show that this is a NORM and should be cognized and accepted as valid.

                                  You raise the point of "hearing" which is an action. Like all physical movements, it takes effort. The individual has to physically work at LISTENING and thus HEARING (Ear Consciousness). "TALK IS CHEAP", talk is as cheap as though a bird imprisoned in a cage saying "cheap cheap cheap". A cage can be a MORTGAGE and the prison cell can be a 30 yr. Mortgage in the prison system of a SUBURB, et al. This "became" REALITY due to action, due to effort. THE FIRST STEP TO RECOVERY IS THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT IS HAPPENING AROUND YOU, even though I've never bothered with those 12 Step Western programs manifested to show addicts what addiction is. Before a person can attempt to scale the heights of YOGA NIDRA they have to establish NORMS, an acceptance of certain things that they were created in and are experiencing, a "Platue" (see A. Maslow: "Religions Values and the Peak Experience), a base camp where you know, you are certain, of REALITY. YOGA in concert with MEDITATION is an expert avenue to apply in the practice. It's a broad venue that offers the person a chance to realize what it is they are actually doing.

                                  I have no problems with your advise, in fact I am confounded CONSTANTLY and am confounded at this very moment by your confidence in expertise with the concept of CITTA, but once you made that distinction of my application you severely took the WRONG off-ramp and went off on your own leading herds of sheep to be fleeced, or cattle to slaughter. No Sir, this MISINTERPRETATION needed, required, IMMEDIATE RESPONSE. (where did I put that yardstick for a good spanking, lol)

                                  au revoire

                                  toodles,
                                  colette

                                  --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom wrote:

                                  > Dear Colette,
                                  >
                                  > No yoga but right understanding of the present reality.
                                  > This is a good reminder you give: listening without hearing.
                                  > actually, it can happen often that we just listen to recordings but
                                  > not really consider thoroughly what we hear. We are passive
                                  > listeners. Only listening and truly considering what we hear can
                                  > condition right understanding.
                                  > So often we hear: there is seeing now, but is there any understanding
                                  > of the reality that just experiences visible object? It has a
                                  > characteristic and it can be realized without having to think about
                                  > it. It is verclose, just now.
                                  <...>
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 3, 2013
                                    Dear Colette,
                                    Op 4-feb-2013, om 2:07 heeft colette_aube het volgende geschreven:

                                    > You raise the point of "hearing" which is an action. Like all
                                    > physical movements, it takes effort. The individual has to
                                    > physically work at LISTENING and thus HEARING (Ear Consciousness).
                                    ------
                                    N: First there is hearing of sound and then afterwards thinking
                                    follows. Wrong thinking or right thinking? We may rightly consider
                                    the Dhamma we heard, and as you say, it takes an effort. Effort is
                                    not self, it is a cetasika that performs its function. Hearing arises
                                    because of conditions, effort arises because of conditions.
                                    Understanding can grow and it works its way, all because of
                                    conditions. Eventually there can be detachment from the idea of self.
                                    Now we are enslaved to the wrong notion of self and this causes a lot
                                    of sorrow in our life.