Re: Seeing = Visible object

  • Robert E
    Message 1 of 299 , Jan 30 8:07 AM
      Hi Sarah.

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "sarah" wrote:

      > Hi Rob E,
      >
      > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E" wrote:

      > S: As I understand the 1st NT, it refers to the impermanence and unsatisfactoriness of all conditioned realities, sabbe sankhara dukkha. It doesn't just refer to unpleasantness, but to all kinds of dhammas which are inevitably the objects of clinging.
      >
      > Even pleasant feeling, even awareness and understanding, even jhana cittas are impermanent and objects of clinging and thereby dukkha.

      I agree with your points, and your correction is aiming at a deeper understanding of the inherent nature of dukkha. However, the Buddha often cited the broad sweep of suffering, illness, old age and death to show the overwhelming reality of dukkha and to show that the "whole system" was "rigged." I think that being hit over the head with the inescapable reality of illness, old age and death is a good blunt tool for illustrating dukkha, and then one can go from there to see the more subtle encroachment of dukkha in every moment.

      For me, it was a big sort of revelation when I read the chapter, just realizing that the death moment is lurking out there and will come at any time. It may be dukkha dukkha but it creates some strong initial disenchantment with the whole thing.

      Best,
      Rob E.

      = = = = = = = = = = = =
      Message 299 of 299 , Mar 4, 2013
        Hi Howard,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, upasaka@... wrote:

        > > S: As Jon wrote in another recent post: "Dukkha is a characteristic of all conditioned dhammas. As long as there is life in samsara, there is dukkha (even for the arahant).
        > ------------------------------------
        > HCW:
        > What does it mean for there to be dukkha FOR the arahant?
        > ------------------------------------

        S: It means that whilst the arahat lives, all the khandhas, all the conditioned elements (taken for the arahat) continue to arise and fall away. Each of these elements is dukkha.
        > >S: "Dukkha is ended only when parinibbana is attained."
        > -------------------------------------
        > HCW:
        > If one experiences no dissatisfaction, why should one care whether dhammas are not sources of satisfaction?
        > ---------------------------------------
        S: That's the point. When attachment and ignorance have been eradicated, there is no more caring or searching for satisfaction, no more conditions for rebirth. The job is done.
        > > S: Yes, for the arahat, no more tanha, no more dissatisfaction, no more mental suffering, but still "sabbe sankhara dukkha"
        > ----------------------------------
        > HCW:
        > Who cares? All that means is that conditioned phenomena are among the conditions for dissatisfaction. But without avijja and tanha, they are insufficient conditions.
        > ---------------------------------

        S: It's not a matter of caring, but of understanding the Truths. The first Noble Truth is that all conditioned dhammas are dukkha. The Truth is universal.

        > > S: When arahathood has been attained, the job is done. Do you agree that if all defilements are eradicated, at the end of the arahat's life, at parinibbana, there are no more conditions for dhammas to arise?
        > -----------------------------
        > HCW:
        > I agree that when all defilements have been eradicated, there are, right then and there, no sufficient conditions for dissatisfaction to arise, and it will not ever arise. It is then irrelevant whether conditioned dhammas arise or not.
        > -------------------------------

        S: Even for the anagami there are no more conditions for any dissatisfaction, however slight, to arise again. When attachment is finally eradicated, no more conditions for further birth.
        > > > It is not the mere presence or ending of conditioned dhammas that leads to suffering, but craving, aversion, and clinging, and without these, existence is nibbanic and joyful.
        > > S: Craving, aversion and ignorance have been eradicated because all the perversions of view, memory and consciousness have been eradicated.
        > -----------------------------
        > HCW:
        > So?
        S: You continue to suggest that when there is no craving or aversion, such as during the arahat's life or now at moments when they don't arise, that there is no suffering. I'm pointing out that the deeper meaning of dukkha, sankhara dukkha, as taught by the Buddha and referred to in the 1st Noble Truth, applies to all conditioned dhammas. So even the khandhas of the arahat are dukkha. The arahat has no more illusion, unlike us, that the dhamma arising now is sukkha rather than dukkha. The nature of dukkha of all conditioned phenomena is completely understood.
        >>S: There is no more illusion of any kind that the impermanent is permanent, the non-self is self, the foul is beautiful or what is dukkha (unsatisfactory or suffering) is sukha (happy).
        > HCW:
        > Yes. So?
        S: So all conditioned dhammas are anicca, anatta, asubha and dukkha.