Re: Seeing = Visible object

  • upasaka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 299 , Jan 12, 2013
      Hi, Robert -

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E" wrote:

      > Hi Howard.
      >
      > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, upasaka@ wrote:
      >
      > > > J: As a fellow sufferer of bph, wishing you a speedy recovery and, in due course, relief from the symptoms that prompted the surgery.
      > > -----------------------------------
      > > HCW:
      > > Amazingly, there is already dramatic improvement! (Now I just have to wait to see that there are no undesirable side effects. ;-)
      > > Sorry that you also have bph, though it is of course common for those of us who are no longer "very young" (LOL!). Thank you for your good wishes, Jon. I do hope that through meds or other means you get good relief from symptoms.
      > > -------------------------------------
      >
      > I am very glad to hear that you are back from surgery and are recovering so well. I hope everything goes smoothly from here!
      ---------------------------------------
      HCW:
      Thanks!! :-)
      --------------------------------------

      > I am recently reading a book on Buddhism by a friend who is emphasizing Buddha's statement that thoroughly comprehending the first noble truth was the key to his complete enlightenment.
      ---------------------------------------
      HCW:
      I suppose that *thorougly* comprehending the 1st must involve (or directly lead to) a comprehending of the 2nd as well.
      As we go through the various illnesses and deaths in our lives, it reminds me of the centrality of the 1st noble truth.
      HCW:
      There is very much that we find unpleasant, and we don't leave it at merely being "unpleasant" but view it as "intolerable," which reaction is an instance of suffering. And, of course, what is pleasant we cling to and desire more of, and these reactions are also instances of mental pain, i.e.suffering.

      > Best,
      > Rob E.
      >
      > - - - - - - - - - - -

      ====================================

      /Whis is rich? He who is satisfied with his lot./
      (From the Pirke Avot [Verses of the Fathers], the Talmud)
      Message 299 of 299 , Mar 4 10:44 PM
        Hi Howard,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, upasaka@... wrote:

        > > S: As Jon wrote in another recent post: "Dukkha is a characteristic of all conditioned dhammas. As long as there is life in samsara, there is dukkha (even for the arahant).
        > ------------------------------------
        > HCW:
        > What does it mean for there to be dukkha FOR the arahant?
        > ------------------------------------

        S: It means that whilst the arahat lives, all the khandhas, all the conditioned elements (taken for the arahat) continue to arise and fall away. Each of these elements is dukkha.
        > >S: "Dukkha is ended only when parinibbana is attained."
        > -------------------------------------
        > HCW:
        > If one experiences no dissatisfaction, why should one care whether dhammas are not sources of satisfaction?
        > ---------------------------------------
        S: That's the point. When attachment and ignorance have been eradicated, there is no more caring or searching for satisfaction, no more conditions for rebirth. The job is done.
        > > S: Yes, for the arahat, no more tanha, no more dissatisfaction, no more mental suffering, but still "sabbe sankhara dukkha"
        > ----------------------------------
        > HCW:
        > Who cares? All that means is that conditioned phenomena are among the conditions for dissatisfaction. But without avijja and tanha, they are insufficient conditions.
        > ---------------------------------

        S: It's not a matter of caring, but of understanding the Truths. The first Noble Truth is that all conditioned dhammas are dukkha. The Truth is universal.

        > > S: When arahathood has been attained, the job is done. Do you agree that if all defilements are eradicated, at the end of the arahat's life, at parinibbana, there are no more conditions for dhammas to arise?
        > -----------------------------
        > HCW:
        > I agree that when all defilements have been eradicated, there are, right then and there, no sufficient conditions for dissatisfaction to arise, and it will not ever arise. It is then irrelevant whether conditioned dhammas arise or not.
        > -------------------------------

        S: Even for the anagami there are no more conditions for any dissatisfaction, however slight, to arise again. When attachment is finally eradicated, no more conditions for further birth.
        > > > It is not the mere presence or ending of conditioned dhammas that leads to suffering, but craving, aversion, and clinging, and without these, existence is nibbanic and joyful.
        > > S: Craving, aversion and ignorance have been eradicated because all the perversions of view, memory and consciousness have been eradicated.
        > -----------------------------
        > HCW:
        > So?
        S: You continue to suggest that when there is no craving or aversion, such as during the arahat's life or now at moments when they don't arise, that there is no suffering. I'm pointing out that the deeper meaning of dukkha, sankhara dukkha, as taught by the Buddha and referred to in the 1st Noble Truth, applies to all conditioned dhammas. So even the khandhas of the arahat are dukkha. The arahat has no more illusion, unlike us, that the dhamma arising now is sukkha rather than dukkha. The nature of dukkha of all conditioned phenomena is completely understood.
        >>S: There is no more illusion of any kind that the impermanent is permanent, the non-self is self, the foul is beautiful or what is dukkha (unsatisfactory or suffering) is sukha (happy).
        > HCW:
        > Yes. So?
        S: So all conditioned dhammas are anicca, anatta, asubha and dukkha.