[dsg] Re: Death of a friend, Ivan

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 4, 2013
      Hi Vince, All

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Vince wrote:

      > sad news to read, he was a good man.
      > ===============

      J: Yes, Ivan was a good person, friendly and kind, and also very interested in the teachings. He will be sadly missed.

      Have just come back from the first of the daily gatherings at the temple where the body is lying. All the friends who had come to Thailand for the discussions were there, so the timing was a happy coincidence in that respect. We had some useful Dhamma discussion with Ajarn Sujin, with particular emphasis on the finality of all past moments.

      In the customary Thai style, food and drink were served to those attending. Monks came and chanted some passages from the Abhidhamma. Gifts were offered to the monks.

      Tomorrow we all head off for Hua Hin for a few days, returning to Bangkok on Saturday.

      Jon
    • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 4, 2013
        Good friend Jon, et al

        If I may ask...

        You wrote in part:

        "In the customary Thai style, food
        and drink were served to those attending. Monks came and chanted some
        passages from the Abhidhamma. Gifts were offered to the monks."

        1. I have been in Thailand three times as a Theravada monk. I with Thai monks never chanted any passages from the Abhidhamma on any occasion!!!

        2. Would you please quote the chant from the Abhidhamma? Sincere warm thanks.

        You also wrote in part:

        "Tomorrow we all head off for Hua Hin for a few days, returning to Bangkok on Saturday."

        3. Yes, Hua Hin is a great place. I once ate a late torch lit dinner on the beach after we attended (a lawyer friend) his nephew's wedding in Manila, PI. Did you go to Hua Hin's Night Market? To me, not as great as the Night Market in Chieng (Chiang) Mai. What do you think? Thanks.

        peace...

        yours in the Dhamma-vinaya

        Chuck
        <...>
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 4, 2013
          Hello all,

          I am very sorry to hear of Ivans' passing away. If possible, please pass on my condolences to Ell. May Ivan have a fortunate rebirth with access to the Dhamma.

          with metta,
          Chris
          --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, sarah abbott wrote:

          > Dear Friends,
          >
          > We spent time with Nina this afternoon, relaxing at our hotel. Her trip to Thailand was fine. Naturally she's very tired.
          >
          > Unpacking a little while ago, when we got a call to say our dear friend Ivan (who posted a few times here as Matt) has passed away. We don't know many details - his wife, Ell was away, he was unwell, a carer was looking after him and took him to a hospital where some medicine had a bad effect.
          >
          > There will be a service at a temple tomorrow evening which we'll be going to.
          >
          > Death can come anytime at all.....
          >
          > Metta
          >
          > Sarah
          > =====

        • Maipenrai Dhammasaro

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
              This is a photo of ivan when he was a bhikkhu at wat bovornniwet in bangkok
              Robert
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastudygroup/photos/album/2012842897/pic/1508765068/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=121&count=20&dir=asc
              --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Christine" wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > I am very sorry to hear of Ivans' passing away. If possible, please pass on my condolences to Ell. May Ivan have a fortunate rebirth with access to the Dhamma.
              >
              > with metta,
              > Chris
              > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, sarah abbott wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Friends,
              > >
              > > We spent time with Nina this afternoon, relaxing at our hotel. Her trip to Thailand was fine. Naturally she's very tired.
              > >
              > > Unpacking a little while ago, when we got a call to say our dear friend Ivan (who posted a few times here as Matt) has passed away. We don't know many details - his wife, Ell was away, he was unwell, a carer was looking after him and took him to a hospital where some medicine had a bad effect.
              > >
              > > There will be a service at a temple tomorrow evening which we'll be going to.
              > >
              > > Death can come anytime at all.....
              > >
              > > Metta
              > >
              > > Sarah
              > > =====

            • Lukas
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                Greetings from Hua-hin friends,
                We were all on the funeral. Acharn, Nina, Sarah, Jon, Sukin, Ann, Azita, Tom and other friends. This was a nice event with Acharn question answer short session. As far as I know Sukin is gona upgrade photos of the ceremony. He went walking :P

                Best wishes
                Lukas

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                  Hi Chris, Chuck & all,

                  --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Christine" wrote:

                  > Hello all,
                  >
                  > I am very sorry to hear of Ivans' passing away. If possible, please pass on my condolences to Ell. May Ivan have a fortunate rebirth with access to the Dhamma.
                  S: Will do. We went to the first evening of the funeral services in Bangkok yesterday and Ivan's body was laid out there. It was so obvious that he who we called Ivan was long gone and that there were just heaps of rupas there. Just visible object seen, just softness touched, no more Ivan at all.

                  Ell felt a little sorry that she hadn't had a chance to say farewell to him - "just thinking", Ajahn said. Always back to the reality now - so useless to think about the "if only's". After the body was put in a coffin, we sat around discussing dhamma, eating, drinking a little and then there was the service with the bhikkhus. By the end of the session, Ell was smiling and glad to have a photo taken of everyone present in front of Ivan's pic. So useless to cry - just accumulating more akusala.

                  We will miss the cremation because we're now down near Hua Hin, but Ell plans to bring the ashes here in a few days for us all to scatter at sea.

                  Meanwhile, in a resort with a lovely, lively group for a week of Dhamma discussions. Lukas has arrived from Poland, this afternoon a group from Hanoi who we spent time with in October arrived, Tom & Bev (who asked after you, Chris) from the States, Ann from Canada, Pinna from the States, Azita, Sukin, Maeve from Aus, Thai friends, Nina, ourselves.....

                  At one point Lukas raised the topic of listening to heavy rock music and how he forgets all Dhamma at such a time.....still just conditioned dhammas, no person at all, awareness anytime at all, studying dhamma then or now. Studying dhamma doesn't mean book-study at all. Just back to seeing, visible object and other realities any time, any occasion..... If we "compartmentalise" into diferent situations - dhamma and non-dhamma ones, we forget all about realities.

                  "How to?" qus - all Self again, forgetting entirely about conditioned dhammas.

                  Rather tired now.... so glad to see Htoo and others posting. If anyone has any qus they'd like us to raise here, fire away...

                  ======
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                    Hi Lukas!

                    --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" wrote:

                    > Greetings from Hua-hin friends,
                    > We were all on the funeral. Acharn, Nina, Sarah, Jon, Sukin, Ann, Azita, Tom and other friends. This was a nice event with Acharn question answer short session. As far as I know Sukin is gona upgrade photos of the ceremony. He went walking :P
                    S: Can you share any of your impressions of the ceremony or points from the QA session then or today with friends on DSG?

                    See you in the morning!

                    ====
                  • Lukas
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                      Dear Sarah,

                      > S: Can you share any of your impressions of the ceremony or points from the QA session then or today with friends on DSG?

                      L: Acharn said today:'Do you read books? Studying realities is like reading a book. Page by page. If you read A, B, not even there. No A or B, just different visible objects. And this is reading, we learn slowly, we read realities right now. Seeing, visible object, thinking. Page by page. Until the book is read.' She told: 'Can we read now? Without books? Yes, each reality right now'.

                      That was very good reminder. But we all seems to forget it all the time.
                      ignorance of each of us seems to be accumulated for eons.

                      To be honest, when Than Ajahn says this: seeing, visible object or any reality right now I have really no idea what she means. What this realities really are? I am taken into the concept of them.

                      Best wishes
                      Lukas
                    • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                        Good friend Robert, et al

                        When was Ivan at Wat Bovornniwet? Perhaps I met him when I was a bhikkhu there.

                        peace...

                        yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

                        Chuck
                        To: dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com
                        From: rjkjp1@...

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                          Good friends all,

                          As good friend Sarah wrote: I am very sorry to hear of Ivans' passing away. If possible,
                          please pass on my condolences to Ell. May Ivan have a fortunate rebirth
                          with access to the Dhamma.

                          Some few weeks ago, the spouse of my grand daughter died... very unexpected... they have a daughter [my great-grand daughter]... she has moved in with my son's family... please remember him and my son's family... He is to retire from the US Coast Guard later this year...

                          peace...

                          yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

                          Chuck

                          Post script: He ordained as a temporary monk with me at Wat Mongkoltepmunee, PA USA

                          http://watthaiphila.org/images/shurch.jpg
                          To: dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com
                          From: sarahprocterabbott@...
                          <...>
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 6, 2013
                            HI Chuck
                            I think for 6 months or a year in 1973-4
                            robert
                            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Maipenrai Dhammasaro wrote:

                            > Good friend Robert, et al
                            >
                            > When was Ivan at Wat Bovornniwet? Perhaps I met him when I was a bhikkhu there.
                            >
                            > peace...
                            >
                            > yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,
                            >
                            > Chuck
                            > To: dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: rjkjp1@...
                            >

                            > This is a photo of ivan when he was a bhikkhu at wat bovornniwet in bangkok
                            > <...>

                          • Lukas
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 6, 2013
                              Dear Chuck,

                              > Some few weeks ago, the spouse of my grand daughter died... very unexpected... they have a daughter [my great-grand daughter]... she has moved in with my son's family... please remember him and my son's family... He is to retire from the US Coast Guard later this year...

                              L: Ignorance make it all happens. Without ignorance there could be no present moment, no life at all.

                              Best wishes
                              Lukas
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 6, 2013
                                Hi Chuck

                                --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Maipenrai Dhammasaro wrote:

                                > Good friend Jon, et al
                                >
                                > If I may ask...
                                >
                                > You wrote in part:
                                >
                                > "In the customary Thai style, food
                                > and drink were served to those attending. Monks came and chanted some
                                > passages from the Abhidhamma. Gifts were offered to the monks."
                                >
                                > 1. I have been in Thailand three times as a Theravada monk. I with Thai monks never chanted any passages from the Abhidhamma on any occasion!!!
                                >
                                > 2. Would you please quote the chant from the Abhidhamma? Sincere warm thanks.
                                > ===============

                                J: I was simply repeating something I'd been told (many years ago). I'm afraid I have no idea exactly what the chanting was.

                                > ===============
                                >
                                > You also wrote in part:
                                >

                                > "Tomorrow we all head off for Hua Hin for a few days, returning to Bangkok on Saturday."
                                >
                                > 3. Yes, Hua Hin is a great place. I once ate a late torch lit dinner on the beach after we attended (a lawyer friend) his nephew's wedding in Manila, PI. Did you go to Hua Hin's Night Market? To me, not as great as the Night Market in Chieng (Chiang) Mai. What do you think? Thanks.
                                > ===============

                                J: Haven't managed to get to the night market here yet (and last visited the night market in Chieng Mai some 20 years ago), so can't really make a comparison. But the resort is a good place to stay, and the villas have wifi :-))

                                Jon
                              • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 6, 2013
                                  Good friend Robert, et al

                                  Sincere warm thanks for responding. Ivan was there before I ordained... I did not ordain at Wat Bovon until 2005, rather late in my life...

                                  I have been most fortunate being there and once a week with my teacher; we would spend a 12-hour shift (8 AM - 8 PM) with the Thai Supreme Pontiff. Usually, I would assist in His lunch.

                                  Later, in the evening I would give booklets written by the Thai Supreme Pontiff and amulets to the Buddhists as they left after evening chanting with Him.

                                  peace...

                                  yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

                                  Chuck

                                  To: dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 6, 2013
                                    Good friend Lukas,

                                    Very sincere and warm thanks...

                                    peace...

                                    yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

                                    Chuck
                                    To: dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: szmicio@...
                                    Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 12:10:02 +0000
                                    <...>

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 6, 2013
                                      Good friend Jon, el al

                                      1. I added your e-mail addy in case this message should be off-list, okay?

                                      2. Sincere warm thanks for your honest response on the chanting. Personally, I prefer studying the Abhidhamma Pitaka as I get lost in the nuances of the Sutta Pitaka. I do not know Pali!!! The Abhidhamma Pitaka is more in my engineering/math way of thinking/understanding...

                                      3. On the Night Market, the Chieng Mai is larger and some of it is in doors.

                                      4. Off-list, would you tell me about the resort you were at? Thanks.

                                      5. Our Hua Hin beach torch-lite dinner was at a small hotel-resort with grass growing on the roofs of the buildings. This was some 10-15 years ago. We had been to Manila, PI for a Roman Catholic wedding between a Buddhist groom and a Roman Catholic bride. They met at a hospital in Long Island, New York, USA. They both are medicos... They now live in New Jersey, USA.

                                      A groom uncle in Thailand host the three nights in Hua Hin...

                                      I am so blessed to have so many positive experiences...

                                      peace...

                                      yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

                                      Chuck

                                      [Rest deleted by Chuck]

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 9, 2013
                                        Hi Chuck

                                        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Maipenrai Dhammasaro wrote:

                                        > Good friend Jon, el al
                                        >
                                        > 1. I added your e-mail addy in case this message should be off-list, okay?
                                        >
                                        > 2. Sincere warm thanks for your honest response on the chanting. Personally, I prefer studying the Abhidhamma Pitaka as I get lost in the nuances of the Sutta Pitaka. I do not know Pali!!! The Abhidhamma Pitaka is more in my engineering/math way of thinking/understanding...

                                        J: There's a lot of overlap (and no essential difference) between the Sutta Pitaka and the Abhidhamma Pitaka, so I think you can say you study both!

                                        > 3. On the Night Market, the Chieng Mai is larger and some of it is in doors.
                                        >
                                        > 4. Off-list, would you tell me about the resort you were at? Thanks.

                                        J: I give a link below. Please feel free to ask any specific questions off-list.

                                        Jon

                                        http://www.banyanthailand.com/