Re: seeing = visible object

  • connie
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2012
      dear friends,

      HH: Suppose it is panna that does the counting?

      c: Even I can count that high, especially given the little cars to put on the track! We'll use the cheap set - no diacritics - plus the doors need to be painted on cars 4 & 8.

      01. Past or Atita Bhavanga
      02. Vibrating or Calana Bhavanga
      03. Arrest or Bhavanguppaccheda
      04. Five-door Adverting or Panca-dvara Avajjana
      05. Eye, etc, Consciousness /Cakkhu, etc, Vinnana
      06. Receiving / Sampatichana
      07. Investigation / Santirana
      08. Determining / Votthapana
      09. "apperception" / Javana
      10. "apperception" / Javana
      11. "apperception" / Javana
      12. "apperception" / Javana
      13. "apperception" / Javana
      14. "apperception" / Javana
      15. "apperception" / Javana
      16. Registration / Tadarammana
      17. Registration / Tadarammana

      Once the "engineer"/sense arammana "manifests", we can know which cars will roll.

      Although it may carry Kiriya or Phala, usually Kusala or Akusala Kamma fill the Javana section; Vipaka, cars 5, 6, 7, 16 and 17.

      RobE: > Would you deny that there are vibrations taking place which are interpreted as sound by the brain? Those vibrations exist even if not turned into "sound," yes?

      HH: I'm not being difficult, honest ;-) I am just teasing out the complexity of what we are talking about.

      Would you agree that time and space are mind-made? If so, what are we to understand by a vibration?

      c: From my reading, the disturbance, vibration or "calana" is said with reference to the bhavanga citta (sota) or (flow of) mind itself rather than the object of either a sense- or mind-door “process” / vitthi.

      connie

      <Except for communication and the characteristic [phases], it lasts for seventeen consciousnesses.> Sacc 60

    • Herman
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2012
        Hi connie,

        On 1 January 2013 04:51, connie <nichicon@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > dear friends,
        >
        > HH: Suppose it is panna that does the counting?
        >
        > c: Even I can count that high, especially given the little cars to put on
        > the track! We'll use the cheap set - no diacritics - plus the doors need to
        > be painted on cars 4 & 8.

        HH: C'mon connie, be fair - the snippet you quoted explicitly said there
        was disagreement about the counting. Clearly, the matter wasn't, and still
        isn't straightforward.

        > 01. Past or Atita Bhavanga
        > 02. Vibrating or Calana Bhavanga
        > 03. Arrest or Bhavanguppaccheda
        > 04. Five-door Adverting or Panca-dvara Avajjana
        > 05. Eye, etc, Consciousness /Cakkhu, etc, Vinnana
        > 06. Receiving / Sampatichana
        > 07. Investigation / Santirana
        > 08. Determining / Votthapana
        > 09. "apperception" / Javana
        > 10. "apperception" / Javana
        > 11. "apperception" / Javana
        > 12. "apperception" / Javana
        > 13. "apperception" / Javana
        > 14. "apperception" / Javana
        > 15. "apperception" / Javana
        > 16. Registration / Tadarammana
        > 17. Registration / Tadarammana

        A theory of this form is called a cognitive theory - one thing happens
        after another. It is not anything like how the brain works - it doesn't
        matter, the Buddha teaches how to live.

        --
        Cheers

        Herman