The Perfections developed in Daily Life, Ch 10, no 5.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2012
      Dear friends,

      We read in the �Gradual Sayings� (Book of the Sixes, Ch III, �5) that
      the Buddha spoke to the monks about six recollections, six states of
      everminding. We read about the first one:

      �Herein, monks, the ariyan disciple ever minds the Tath�gata:
      �He is the Exalted One...� Monks, what time the ariyan disciple minds
      the Tath�gata, his heart is not lust-obsessed, nor hate-obsessed, nor
      obsessed by infatuation; upright in heart is he at that time, moved
      free, raised from greed; and this greed, monks, is a name for the
      fivefold sensuous pleasures. Verily, monks, by making this thought
      their object, some men thereby are purged.�

      Ariyans have an unwavering confidence in the Buddha, because they
      have discovered the reason why the Buddha had become enlightened: he
      had developed all the perfections and he had, through right
      understanding, realized the true nature of all realities appearing at
      the present moment. The ariyans proved for themselves that by
      following the Path the Buddha taught they could reach the goal.
      We may say that the perfections must be developed together with right
      understanding, in our daily life, but are we doers of the teachings?
      We need to develop all the perfections, and if one of them is lacking
      we cannot reach the goal. Whenever there is an opportunity for
      generosity we should use it in order to be less selfish. We need to
      develop s�la, wholesomeness in action and speech, without an idea of
      self who could suppress akusala. We should remember that in s�la is
      also included mindfulness of whatever appears through the six doors.
      We need the perfection of renunciation, renunciation from selfish
      clinging to sense pleasures. We should remember that all kusala
      dhammas are renunciation. We need to develop the perfection of
      wisdom, comprising wisdom of different levels: understanding based on
      listening and considering and direct understanding of realities. We
      need the perfection of energy so that we will not become discouraged
      but continue on the way, no matter what will happen. We need the
      perfection of patience, especially when we are in difficult
      situations or when other people are disagreeable to us. We should
      regard such circumstances as a test, an opportunity to accumulate
      patience. We need truthfulness to investigate all realities of our
      daily life, our defilements included. The perfection of truthfulness
      is the sincere inclination to follow the way leading to the
      eradication of defilements. We need determination to develop all the
      perfections so that eventually enlightenment can be attained. We need
      the perfection of mett�, so that we think more of the welfare of
      other people and cling less to the importance of self. We need the
      perfection of equanimity to face the worldly conditions without being
      disturbed by them. Satipatth�na should be developed together with all
      the perfections. This will help us to reduce the clinging to an idea
      of self who has to develop the perfections. All the perfections
      support the growth of right understanding so that it can eventually
      perform the function of detachment from all conditioned realities.

      It is thanks to the Buddha that we can begin to develop right
      understanding of the realities of daily life. We can learn to be
      aware, while working in an office or doing house work, while talking
      or being silent, while laughing or crying. All these moments can be
      known as they are. One moment of right mindfulness is very effective,
      because it is a condition for mindfulness to arise again and, thus,
      right understanding can grow. If there can be mindfulness now, it is
      thanks to the Buddha�s teaching.

      Iti'pi So Bhagav�

      Araha�, Samm�sambuddho.

      --------