Re: [dsg] Re: Living alone (2), Poland, in the bus, 16 Sept. 00-d.

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29 9:31 PM
      Hello Chuck,

      Thank you for your good natured question.

      On 30 December 2012 11:27, Maipenrai Dhammasaro <dhammasaro@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Good friend Herman,
      >
      > Please forgive my delay in responding... [bummer]
      >
      > Returned from Texas to the Philadelphia, PA USA on Christmas Day (Flight
      > at one-half price)... [smiles]
      >
      > Getting caught up on my e-mails.
      >
      > Would you please explain the following?
      >
      > Quote: "However, the belief that it makes no difference to the possibility
      > of not drowning, regardless of whether one is surrounded by friends or not,
      > is quite mistaken.

      HH: You wrote: Living alone in the Texas Hill Country or with friends in
      Havertown, PA USA, it is the same mentally... it is all Dhamma...

      I wrote back to say that this is mistaken understanding :-)

      What "drowning in the senses" means can only be appreciated once you enter
      jhana.

      Unless you are an adept, you will not enter into jhana while with your
      friends in Havertown, I assure you.

      But if you were an adept, you would not have said that seclusion and being
      surrounded by friends (village dwelling) are the same :-)

      This is what the Buddha says: (AN6:42)

      "Whoever cannot obtain at will � without difficulty, without trouble �
      as I do, the pleasure of renunciation, the pleasure of seclusion, the
      pleasure of peace, the pleasure of self-awakening, let him consent to this
      slimy-excrement-pleasure, this torpor-pleasure, this pleasure of gains,
      offerings, & fame.

      "Nagita, there is the case where I see a monk sitting in concentration in a
      village dwelling. The thought occurs to me, 'Soon a monastery attendant
      will disturb this venerable one in some way, or a novice will, and rouse
      him from his concentration.' And so I am not pleased with that monk's
      village-dwelling.

      HH: I hope this clarifies.

      Sincere warm thanks.

      --
      Cheers

      Herman

      I do not know what I do not know

    • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
        Good friend, et al

        Aha, I missed the "adept" part... (bummer)

        Clearly, I am not an "adept." Nor, reached any Jhana(s)!!!

        However, when I meditate I usually hear no thing...

        The ticking of the clock... the fire siren... the noise in a car van...

        I do meditate many places... for instance, on my recent flight from the Texas Hill Country to the Philly Area via St. Louis, MO...

        peace...

        yours in the Dhamma-vinaya

        Chuck

        [Rest deleted by Chuck]

      • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
          Good friend Nina, et al

          This ole bag of bones sense what you wrote is what I tried to write some week ago...

          Sincere warm thanks...

          peace...

          yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

          Chuck
          To: dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com
          From: vangorko@...
          Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:36:25 +0100
          Subject: [dsg] Living alone (2), Poland, in the bus, 16 Sept. 00-d.

          Dear friends,

          Living alone.

          Acharn: <Living alone is not �I live alone�. A citta arises and experiences one object at a time. Only when there is detachment and
          understanding, understanding performs the function of detachment. That is a moment of living alone, because pa~n~naa sees and understands that there is no one, only a moment of experiencing an object.

          Even thinking about people, friends, is a moment of living alone with the understanding that it is only thinking. This is different from thinking about people and things without understanding. Thinking is alone, but ignorance cannot see that. Does one hurt oneself at the moment of being alone? There can be any reality, but it can be known as a reality, no matter whether it is
          sadness, worry or anything else. Whatever is there can be known as a reality.

          There can be thinking with pleasant feeling or with unpleasant feeling but understanding knows that it is only thinking. So, one
          does not mind whether there is pleasant or unpleasant feeling, it only arises with thinking. Thinking with pleasant feeling or with
          unpleasant feeling falls away; so, it does not hurt anyone at all. When thinking arises there is no me or another person, it is only
          thinking. There may be pleasant feeling or unpleasant feeling about situations or people, but one does not mind thinking; one realizes that thinking is thinking. One realizes that the story one thinks of is not true, but that the thinking is real. It is our own thought.

          The situation might not be as we think.
          *****
          Nina.

          [Rest deleted by Chuck]