The Perfections developed in Daily Life, Ch 10, no 4.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2012
      Dear friends,

      Further on we read:

      �Upon the Enlightened Ones, the Blessed Ones, who see thus, �I have
      crossed over and the world has not crossed over; I am liberated and
      the world is not liberated; I am controlled and the world is
      uncontrolled; I am at peace and the world is not at peace; I am
      comforted and the world is comfortless; I am extinguished and the
      world is unextinguished; I, having crossed over, can bring across; I,
      being liberated, can liberate; I, being controlled, can teach
      control; I, being at peace, can pacify; I, being comforted, can
      comfort; I, being extinguished, can teach extinguishment,� there
      descends the Great Compassion.
      This is the Perfect Ones knowledge of the attainment of the Great
      Compassion.�

      The compassion of a Buddha cannot be fathomed by ordinary people, it
      is unequalled. Out of compassion the Buddha taught people the
      development of right understanding in daily life. The ultimate goal
      cannot be reached in one life, but even when right understanding just
      begins to develop we come to know things we did not know before. We
      discover many defilements and also learn to know the more subtle
      ones. Instead of being distressed about them we can be grateful to
      the Buddha who taught us the wisdom which can eradicate them. When we
      come to realize our defilements we may remember at once that this is
      due to the Buddha�s teachings and then there can be recollection of
      the qualities of the Buddha (Buddhanussati). Also a moment of
      gratefulness to the Buddha is a conditioned moment and it can be
      object of mindfulness so that it can be known as not self.

      We read in the �Discourse on the Simile of the Cloth� (Middle Length
      Sayings I, no. 7) that the Buddha speaks about the defilements of the
      mind which are: greed, covetousness, malevolence, anger, malice,
      hypocrisy, spite, envy, stinginess, deceit, treachery, obstinacy,
      impetuosity, arrogance, pride, conceit and indolence. When the monk
      knows them as they are he can get rid of them. The text states:

      �When, monks, the monk thinks that greed and covetousness is a
      defilement of the mind... that indolence is a defilement of the mind,
      and having known it thus, the defilement of the mind that is
      indolence is got rid of, he becomes possessed of unwavering
      confidence in the Awakened One and thinks: �Thus indeed is he the
      Lord, perfected, wholly self-awakened, endowed with knowledge and
      right conduct, well-farer, knower of the worlds, incomparable
      charioteer of men to be tamed, teacher of devas and mankind, the
      Awakened One, the Lord.� �

      We read that some people attained arahatship by making the
      Recollection of the Buddha their object of meditation, but they could
      not attain it without developing satipatth�na in daily life.

      ******